Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.08.2016, 20:47
Aleydis's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 765
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 527 Times in 281 Posts
Aleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of many
Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business...rters/41646766

I do not seem to find reliable sources as there are probably none.

This article is from Tagesanzeiger, therefor available in (High) German only.

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtscha...story/30555973

Could someone please help me find the number for weapons import by Switzerland for the period (or individual years) between 2010 and 2015?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.08.2016, 23:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business...rters/41646766

I do not seem to find reliable sources as there are probably none.

This article is from Tagesanzeiger, therefor available in (High) German only.

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtscha...story/30555973

Could someone please help me find the number for weapons import by Switzerland for the period (or individual years) between 2010 and 2015?

negative, but clear is that CH is a net EXporter, not least as a good part of the watches go to armed Forces /airforce, artillery)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.08.2016, 23:37
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,986
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,232 Times in 2,913 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business...rters/41646766

I do not seem to find reliable sources as there are probably none.

This article is from Tagesanzeiger, therefor available in (High) German only.

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtscha...story/30555973

Could someone please help me find the number for weapons import by Switzerland for the period (or individual years) between 2010 and 2015?
Probably hard to find hard unbiased data.

http://kriegsmaterial.ch/map/

I looked at http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/de/index.html but it doesn't seem to be a separate item there.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 02.08.2016, 10:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,958 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
Could someone please help me find the number for weapons import by Switzerland for the period (or individual years) between 2010 and 2015?
Usually it's EXports that are the issue. Could you confirm that you're looking for IMports numbers?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.08.2016, 15:20
Aleydis's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 765
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 527 Times in 281 Posts
Aleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of many
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
Usually it's EXports that are the issue. Could you confirm that you're looking for IMports numbers?
Confirmed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.08.2016, 15:38
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,986
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,232 Times in 2,913 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Aleydis,

Could you give a bit more information about what question you are trying to ask?

Do you mean kit for the military or "sport" weapons?

Military would probably be easier to find, but even there, equipment in general, raw materials for Ruag et al, or munitions only?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.08.2016, 15:47
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,274
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,491 Times in 6,020 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
Could someone please help me find the number for weapons import by Switzerland for the period (or individual years) between 2010 and 2015?
I won't go into details, but a lot of Swiss military material is sourced "Swiss made". Which does not mean what you think it does but: Since the army will prefer Swiss suppliers by a massive margin in public tenders do the international companies "team up" with some Swiss company and voila: the equipment is suddenly not imported anymore. Only the parts. Which will be screwed together here fresh out of crates delivered to their door. So the value is technically created in CH and the system not imported.


And when it comes to exports: Nothing against Wollies watches, but very few soldiers these days get Rolexes anymore... or any mechanical watch. Mostly because we live in the 21st century. Switzerland builds some good guns by Oerlikon, supplies half of Africa with cheap turbo-props by Pilatus (wich are of course trainers and the company can in no way foresee that African armies might arm them...), loads of small arms,...
__________________
There is a special place in Hull reserved for the guy who invented autocorrect.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 02.08.2016, 15:55
Papa Lemming's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Papa Lemming has earned some respectPapa Lemming has earned some respect
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

You might find some useful trade data from this source (The Observatory of Economic Complexity at MIT).

For example, you can build a visualization to see Switzerland's imports from 2010 to 2014 (here) and then isolate the"Weapons" trade category (e.g. weapons imports were 87.1 million USD in 2014, down from 159 million USD in 2011).

You can even check out "sub-categories". For example, under "Weapons", the two largest import categories in 2014 are "Weapons Parts and Accessories" ($ 34M) followed by "Explosive Ammunition" ($ 24.7M USD).

I don't know if that's exactly what you are looking for, but it's certainly fun :P Good luck!

(you can also do the same for exports... and for any other product and country... and spend an inordinate amount of time in such a nice website)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Papa Lemming for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 02.08.2016, 16:20
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
I won't go into details, but a lot of Swiss military material is sourced "Swiss made". Which does not mean what you think it does but: Since the army will prefer Swiss suppliers by a massive margin in public tenders do the international companies "team up" with some Swiss company and voila: the equipment is suddenly not imported anymore. Only the parts. Which will be screwed together here fresh out of crates delivered to their door. So the value is technically created in CH and the system not imported.


And when it comes to exports: Nothing against Wollies watches, but very few soldiers these days get Rolexes anymore... or any mechanical watch. Mostly because we live in the 21st century. Switzerland builds some good guns by Oerlikon, supplies half of Africa with cheap turbo-props by Pilatus (wich are of course trainers and the company can in no way foresee that African armies might arm them...), loads of small arms,...

Watches ? not those you mean but those inside artillery and airforce grenades, all the sensors and rockets in use
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 02.08.2016, 17:01
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,446
Groaned at 175 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,517 Times in 3,043 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
I won't go into details, but a lot of Swiss military material is sourced "Swiss made". Which does not mean what you think it does but: Since the army will prefer Swiss suppliers by a massive margin in public tenders do the international companies "team up" with some Swiss company and voila: the equipment is suddenly not imported anymore. Only the parts. Which will be screwed together here fresh out of crates delivered to their door. So the value is technically created in CH and the system not imported.


And when it comes to exports: Nothing against Wollies watches, but very few soldiers these days get Rolexes anymore... or any mechanical watch. Mostly because we live in the 21st century. Switzerland builds some good guns by Oerlikon, supplies half of Africa with cheap turbo-props by Pilatus (wich are of course trainers and the company can in no way foresee that African armies might arm them...), loads of small arms,...

Please do
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.08.2016, 17:09
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,274
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,491 Times in 6,020 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
Please do
I won't. A family member was a senior manager at a German company delivery military hardware to the German Bundeswehr, Dutch Army and many others. The Swiss army buys their stuff for decades but it has to be under a different brand name and with a "made in Switzerland" tag. So as I said: The hardware comes in crates from Germany to CH, a handful of final assembly steps are carried out and then everyone is happy... well, sort of. Naturally does the Swiss company get a decent share of the profit for not doing very much at all despite having a Swiss address and apparently a very well working lobby in Berne.




The Swiss always claim that "everyone is doing this" but I know for a fact that at least in Europe - as long as we are not talking billions as for example the Eurofighter or A400M - this is simply not the case.
__________________
There is a special place in Hull reserved for the guy who invented autocorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.08.2016, 17:17
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,137 Times in 3,240 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
Watches ? not those you mean but those inside artillery and airforce grenades, all the sensors and rockets in use
Clocks. A watch is a certain type of a small clock, which is carried or worn by a person. A common type of a watch is the wristwatch.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 02.08.2016, 17:46
Aleydis's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 765
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 527 Times in 281 Posts
Aleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of many
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
I won't go into details, but a lot of Swiss military material is sourced "Swiss made". Which does not mean what you think it does but: Since the army will prefer Swiss suppliers by a massive margin in public tenders do the international companies "team up" with some Swiss company and voila: the equipment is suddenly not imported anymore. Only the parts. Which will be screwed together here fresh out of crates delivered to their door. So the value is technically created in CH and the system not imported.


And when it comes to exports: Nothing against Wollies watches, but very few soldiers these days get Rolexes anymore... or any mechanical watch. Mostly because we live in the 21st century. Switzerland builds some good guns by Oerlikon, supplies half of Africa with cheap turbo-props by Pilatus (wich are of course trainers and the company can in no way foresee that African armies might arm them...), loads of small arms,...
Thank you, Treverus, I was trying to find information about the claims that Swiss entities are being used as intermediaries to facilitate access to those markets, to which the original suppliers / producers have no access to (under international law) or do not wish to disclose their activities in a certain region.

I will read the sources and get back here. Thank you for the links, everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.08.2016, 18:23
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,446
Groaned at 175 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,517 Times in 3,043 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
I won't. A family member was a senior manager at a German company delivery military hardware to the German Bundeswehr, Dutch Army and many others. The Swiss army buys their stuff for decades but it has to be under a different brand name and with a "made in Switzerland" tag. So as I said: The hardware comes in crates from Germany to CH, a handful of final assembly steps are carried out and then everyone is happy... well, sort of. Naturally does the Swiss company get a decent share of the profit for not doing very much at all despite having a Swiss address and apparently a very well working lobby in Berne.




The Swiss always claim that "everyone is doing this" but I know for a fact that at least in Europe - as long as we are not talking billions as for example the Eurofighter or A400M - this is simply not the case.

You did
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02.08.2016, 20:01
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
I won't. A family member was a senior manager at a German company delivery military hardware to the German Bundeswehr, Dutch Army and many others. The Swiss army buys their stuff for decades but it has to be under a different brand name and with a "made in Switzerland" tag. So as I said: The hardware comes in crates from Germany to CH, a handful of final assembly steps are carried out and then everyone is happy... well, sort of. Naturally does the Swiss company get a decent share of the profit for not doing very much at all despite having a Swiss address and apparently a very well working lobby in Berne.




The Swiss always claim that "everyone is doing this" but I know for a fact that at least in Europe - as long as we are not talking billions as for example the Eurofighter or A400M - this is simply not the case.

Switzerland in case of arms purchases insists in production under licence, the final assembly can be done anywhere
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02.08.2016, 20:08
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
Clocks. A watch is a certain type of a small clock, which is carried or worn by a person. A common type of a watch is the wristwatch.

more than 50% of all watches/clocks (Uhrwerke) land up as parts of weapons
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03.08.2016, 09:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,958 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, Treverus, I was trying to find information about the claims that Swiss entities are being used as intermediaries to facilitate access to those markets, to which the original suppliers / producers have no access to (under international law) or do not wish to disclose their activities in a certain region.

I will read the sources and get back here. Thank you for the links, everyone.
You may want to start with government owned RUAG AG, ruag.ch. Going by their aggregate data in the annual report on where they export to, that seems to not (no longer) apply.

Additional candidates that come to mind are are Pilatus (Stans), Oerlikon Bührle (do they still exist? Oerlikon), Mowag (Kreuzlingen).

SIG (Schaffhausen) got split, today's SIG (SIG combibloc) has nothing to do with arms anymore AFAIK (they do PET these days). Their weapons business was sold to Germany ten or so years ago, is called SwissArms these days, web site swissarms.ch
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 03.08.2016, 10:54
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 409
Groaned at 164 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 1,291 Times in 702 Posts
Pashosh is considered knowledgeablePashosh is considered knowledgeablePashosh is considered knowledgeable
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Most of the weapon exports go to Muslim countries. If anyone wanted to know why the Muslim world is in such a mess, this would explain a lot of it.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Pashosh for this post:
  #19  
Old 03.08.2016, 11:12
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,274
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,491 Times in 6,020 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

Quote:
View Post
Most of the weapon exports go to Muslim countries. If anyone wanted to know why the Muslim world is in such a mess, this would explain a lot of it.
I am a pacifist and pretty much against all of it, but honestly: Blaming the mess in the Middle East on guns exports is a bit over the top - the Taliban managed to surpress the population of a country with some Toyota pick-up trucks and AK47s, so the anti-aircraft guns sold by Oerlikon are hardly the problem...


P.S: As your article says go about a quarter of the exports to Indonesia, which is indeed Muslim, but hardly part of the mess you are referring to. If anything do the strong export numbers show that oil countries still did not build up any decent manufacturing capabilities themselves... because they don't need to.
__________________
There is a special place in Hull reserved for the guy who invented autocorrect.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 03.08.2016, 11:13
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,977
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,578 Times in 5,410 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland: Arms Export and Import

At the moment there is a row going on after Switzerland sold a lot of hand grenades to UAE. The UAE were not permitted to export them, but they did - to Jordan. These grenades then turned up in the hands of the Free Syrian army, and some have recently been captured by ISIS.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a new kayak from Germany. Export and Import tax query mek Finance/banking/taxation 8 18.07.2015 10:39
Import and then export to EU on B2C business iloveswitzlerland Business & entrepreneur 1 28.04.2014 12:33
International Import Export Position Wanted Zsolt_i Jobs wanted 6 07.02.2012 22:40
Car Import/Export Timing Question AussieMatt Transportation/driving 4 28.07.2011 01:32
open up an import export business onda Business & entrepreneur 0 28.05.2007 12:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0