Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #261  
Old 26.02.2011, 08:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alanant has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Thank you Eire.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 26.02.2011, 20:49
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,342
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,248 Times in 1,998 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
You'll get a hefty fine, and be banned from driving in Switzerland for a period of time. They can not revoke your license from another country so unless you return to Switzerland during the ban period your ban is largely theoretical.
A very hefty fine. I think, irrespective of the fact that it was a 100 zone, the fact that you were on an autobahn means that your fine should be in the CHF400 range.

How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

You were a gnat's fart away from hitting a fine calculated as a multiple of your daily income. Those get very expensive very quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 26.02.2011, 20:56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alanant has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Thanks Village Idiot. 400 is bad but I was fearing a lot worse. I will let everyone what it is when I receive the fine.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 27.02.2011, 09:42
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
A very hefty fine. I think, irrespective of the fact that it was a 100 zone, the fact that you were on an autobahn means that your fine should be in the CHF400 range.

How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

You were a gnat's fart away from hitting a fine calculated as a multiple of your daily income. Those get very expensive very quickly.
Not so. When the speed limit reduces to 100kmph the fine is taken from the Highways column .
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 28.02.2011, 22:19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kusnacht
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
MrsX has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Molly, What happened after sending all that info in? I just got e same and they are even asking for my sallary last year.. I am in the process of a new job and moving to switzerland so i am a bit worried.

thanks for letting me know!
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 16.03.2011, 02:56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alanant has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Here is an update on my earlier posts discussing a speed infringement on a Swiss autobahn:
- I completed and sent the first letter back to the Basel Police Department acknowledging that it was me driving the car.
- Three weeks later I received a letter back saying that I will lose my licence for a period of one month starting in June. Google Translate had a tougher time on this letter but as far as I could make out I had ten days to opt to go to court.

I assume that I will receive another letter shortly with a large fine. I'll let everyone know what it is when I get it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Alanant for this useful post:
  #267  
Old 30.03.2011, 11:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laleh has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Yesterday we received the fine(for passing the red light after 6s)!!!
It was 300 CHF. They stated that 250 is for fine and 50 for expenses. Honestly, It is less than what I was expecting from Swiss police.

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your response, today I went to the police and asked the lady to show me the photos. They only have two photos very close shots! so they don't show that I went right, the photos just show that I passed the solid white line. Anyway, I will wait for their commission and I will let you know what could be the fine
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 30.03.2011, 18:39
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Yesterday we received the fine(for passing the red light after 6s)!!!
It was 300 CHF. They stated that 250 is for fine and 50 for expenses. Honestly, It is less than what I was expecting from Swiss police.
250 CHF is the 1 second penalty - you got off lightly if it was really 6 secs.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 19.04.2011, 10:46
litespeed's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dietikon ZH
Posts: 1,854
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,398 Times in 730 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Just another spring warning... the unusually warm spring weather has got the police out as well with their lasers/radars, hoping to catch a few energy biscuits.

Remember, the pain curve starts lightly, but moves exponentially, especially in 30 or 50km/h zones:

Speeding fine chart

Happy motoring...you have been warned.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank litespeed for this useful post:
  #270  
Old 30.04.2011, 01:19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
pooya_f has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

I just wanted to share my experience since this forum helped me ENORMOUSLY.

I got flashed in St. Gallen inside the city boundaries in a 50 km/h zone. I am from Canada and about 45 days later, I got a letter in the mail saying that I was going 72 in a 50 zone. They reduced the speed by 3 km/h and charged me for violating the speed limit by 19 km. The letter was in English and said that due to the extent of the violation the fine cannot be determined in an "administrative" manner and must be handed to the competent court and follow "criminal" procedures! I was also asked to fill up the form with my info (name, address, license info and explanation of what happened).

The letter said to send the form back within 30 days of the postage stamp date. When I got the letter, I only had a few days left, so I immediately mailed it back but I also scanned and emailed it to the email address on the letter so they can get it as soon as possible.

About 10 days after I mailed the form I got the final verdict in the mail:

350 CHF fine + 150 CHF administrative charges for a total of 500 CHF.

My special thanks goes to litespeed for posting the speeding fine chart:
How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank pooya_f for this useful post:
  #271  
Old 01.05.2011, 17:48
FriesianCatRider's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Züri
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
FriesianCatRider has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Also, even if you know the roads very well and never had a problem before, be very careful now. Litespeed is 100% correct; I was fined the 15th April.

I have been driving one road daily for almost 2 years and do the usual top speed of about 10 miles over the limit right before the signs changes to a "no restriction". I am not the only one (it is very country where I am) and most cars are just going with traffic of course within reason.

Well, sure enough my luck ran out since the police decided to set up a mobile camera/flasher hanging on some type of wire above the road in the place right before the no speed restriction sign (everyone naturally speeds up at this point in anticipation). The police "entrapment" was just perfect as car after car were being pulled over to the side of the road where a road block was set.

I was so shocked when the officer asked if I wanted to pay my CHF120 on the spot, so I did. They made alot of CHF that particular night.

Lesson learned; no more pushing even a little bit no matter how well I know the roads/speed signs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank FriesianCatRider for this useful post:
  #272  
Old 02.05.2011, 18:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
pooya_f has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
I just wanted to share my experience since this forum helped me ENORMOUSLY.

I got flashed in St. Gallen inside the city boundaries in a 50 km/h zone. I am from Canada and about 45 days later, I got a letter in the mail saying that I was going 72 in a 50 zone. They reduced the speed by 3 km/h and charged me for violating the speed limit by 19 km. The letter was in English and said that due to the extent of the violation the fine cannot be determined in an "administrative" manner and must be handed to the competent court and follow "criminal" procedures! I was also asked to fill up the form with my info (name, address, license info and explanation of what happened).

The letter said to send the form back within 30 days of the postage stamp date. When I got the letter, I only had a few days left, so I immediately mailed it back but I also scanned and emailed it to the email address on the letter so they can get it as soon as possible.

About 10 days after I mailed the form I got the final verdict in the mail:

350 CHF fine + 150 CHF administrative charges for a total of 500 CHF.

My special thanks goes to litespeed for posting the speeding fine chart:
How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?
I spoke to a Swiss friend of mine and he says that I will get another letter from the "street administration" for a 400 CHF fine on top of the 500 CHF! He referred me to this page:
http://www.schwiiz.eu/schweiz_bussge...windigkeit.php

Can anyone confirm this?
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 03.05.2011, 10:45
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
luceds has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

I was in Switzerland at the end of January for work.

On the way back form Davos I didn’t realise but I was in an 80kph and caught doing 123kph..

Obviously there is no way out of it as they have a photo of my face and it was a rental car…

I’ve had a look at the chart and read many posts and I have a few questions…
  • My monthly income which they will calculate my fine on, do I have to include my bonus at the end of the year – if I don’t do they have any way of finding that out?
  • I’ve read several posts saying that I will be banned from driving in Switzerland for at least 3 months.
    • Am I still ok to drive in London?
    • Do I need to let my insurance know?
    • Am I allowed to drive in France
  • Will I need to go to court for this? I’m not going to dispute it but I really do not want to go to court for it..
  • what are the implications here in London regarding this??

G_d so worried……
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 03.05.2011, 11:13
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,522
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,548 Times in 4,684 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

The Swiss cannot take your non-Swiss licence away so if banned you can drive anywhere but not in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 03.05.2011, 12:16
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,505
Groaned at 304 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 8,082 Times in 2,889 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
I was in Switzerland at the end of January for work.

On the way back form Davos I didn’t realise but I was in an 80kph and caught doing 123kph..

Obviously there is no way out of it as they have a photo of my face and it was a rental car…

I’ve had a look at the chart and read many posts and I have a few questions…
  • My monthly income which they will calculate my fine on, do I have to include my bonus at the end of the year – if I don’t do they have any way of finding that out?
  • I’ve read several posts saying that I will be banned from driving in Switzerland for at least 3 months.
    • Am I still ok to drive in London?
    • Do I need to let my insurance know?
    • Am I allowed to drive in France
  • Will I need to go to court for this? I’m not going to dispute it but I really do not want to go to court for it..
  • what are the implications here in London regarding this??
G_d so worried……
Have you actually had notification of this? The fact you quote speed implies you were perhaps stopped by the police...
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 03.05.2011, 12:36
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,064
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 5,756 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss cannot take your non-Swiss licence away so if banned you can drive anywhere but not in Switzerland.

You're supposed to surrender your U.K. licence at the time that you get your Swiss one.

This would mean that losing your Swiss one would prevent you from driving in the U.K, and indeed France.
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 03.05.2011, 12:45
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,092
Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 9,661 Times in 4,067 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Will I need to go to court for this? I’m not going to dispute it but I really do not want to go to court for it..
At that speed, your fine is no longer automatic, so it will go to a court for a decision, but you do not need to be there, especially if you are not contesting it.

If you have received notification, call the number on the letter. I am assuming you are not permanently based here (in CH), in which case, you should simply tell them and ask to speak to someone in English (usually they are quite matter of fact about it, and will tell you their side of what's gonna happen, although they'll be coy about about telling you what exactly your punishment will be).

Quote:
View Post
This would mean that losing your Swiss one would prevent you from driving in the U.K, and indeed France.
He hasn't said he's a resident in CH, in which case, Marton's correct in that they can only ban him from driving in CH. If he is on CH licence, then he'll be banned from driving anywhere in Europe (or anywhere where having a licence is required for that matter).

The OP will keep his licence and will be able to drive elsewhere. There will be no points and I don't know if he has to tell his insurance.
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #278  
Old 03.05.2011, 15:34
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
luceds has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Hey guys,

I'm not a resisdent of Ch nor do i have a CH license. I have a UK license...

I was sent the fine through the post.. Also I was there on business...

So they can ban me from driving in ch but not in europe..

Should I prepare to get another license from the DVLA just encase they ask for my license??

Thanks for all the help..
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 03.05.2011, 15:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
luceds has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

just to confirm, Will I get any points and do I need to let my insurance know??

How does this impact me in the UK?
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 03.05.2011, 15:53
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,754 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
just to confirm, Will I get any points and do I need to let my insurance know??

How does this impact me in the UK?
It shouldn't impact you at all in the UK unless you get yourself a duplicate licence which is an offence, as far as I am aware.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0