Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #361  
Old 13.09.2011, 13:01
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 2,409
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,267 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Is there a way to avoid or get out of this ticket?
It's just not worth it over 40 Francs. Pay up and think of it as just another form of taxation.
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 13.09.2011, 13:07
sflorida_sweetie2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel, stein AG
Posts: 242
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 103 Times in 49 Posts
sflorida_sweetie2 has earned some respectsflorida_sweetie2 has earned some respect
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Hey thanks! Glad to hear about the sticker as I have a LIberty (which is not known here other than just a cherokee) and the model I have didn't make Km odemeters from what I was told, and upon inspection, the auto dealers said that they dont even make the clear turn signals for my year. Luckily it passed.
On the ticket, it was in a tiny "don't blink or you'll miss it" little town and honestly thought I had slowed down to the appropriate speed. Question, I have a TOM TOM, but it tells me I am going 4 MPH slower than my speedometer reads, so should I go with my speedometer? What a pain in the a** this is! Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 13.09.2011, 13:15
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 6,153
Groaned at 309 Times in 249 Posts
Thanked 9,532 Times in 3,871 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Hey thanks! Glad to hear about the sticker as I have a LIberty (which is not known here other than just a cherokee) and the model I have didn't make Km odemeters from what I was told, and upon inspection, the auto dealers said that they dont even make the clear turn signals for my year. Luckily it passed.
On the ticket, it was in a tiny "don't blink or you'll miss it" little town and honestly thought I had slowed down to the appropriate speed. Question, I have a TOM TOM, but it tells me I am going 4 MPH slower than my speedometer reads, so should I go with my speedometer? What a pain in the a** this is! Thanks for the advice.
speedo's always read higher then you are going, tomtom should be more accurate assuming you have good gps coverage etc etc
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #364  
Old 13.09.2011, 14:19
KB88111
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Switch your Tom-Tom to kph. This might actually help you avoid speeding fines.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #365  
Old 14.09.2011, 08:06
jmf's Avatar
jmf jmf is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cham, ZG
Posts: 921
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 773 Times in 395 Posts
jmf has an excellent reputationjmf has an excellent reputationjmf has an excellent reputationjmf has an excellent reputation
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Of course this doesn't happen in Switzerland, so draconian fines must work. Yeah, right!
I didn't say it doesn't happen, I said that here not EVERYBODY does it. So yea, the fines work as 99.9% of the people drive the limit, as opposed to back home where 0.1% do it
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 23.09.2011, 02:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
peter h has become a little unpopularpeter h has become a little unpopular
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

My wife and I hired a car in Geneva in the first half of August. Today (22nd Sept) we received, forwarded by the hire company (Avis) a fine for CHF 120 which permits me to pay anonymously. However, card payments are not permitted.


It says that payment by cheque in foreign currency (cheque en devises etrangeres) is OK, but doesn't tell me how to do that. Do I just pick the best exchange rate I can find in the newspaper - and what if the exchange rate moves in my favour between my writing the cheque and its receipt by the cantonal police - will they come back for more?
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 23.09.2011, 10:16
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,065
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,179 Times in 5,757 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
My wife and I hired a car in Geneva in the first half of August. Today (22nd Sept) we received, forwarded by the hire company (Avis) a fine for CHF 120 which permits me to pay anonymously. However, card payments are not permitted.


It says that payment by cheque in foreign currency (cheque en devises etrangeres) is OK, but doesn't tell me how to do that. Do I just pick the best exchange rate I can find in the newspaper - and what if the exchange rate moves in my favour between my writing the cheque and its receipt by the cantonal police - will they come back for more?
Us the U.K. Customs and Revenue Exchange rate: Here

(Assuming you're from the U.K.)
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 23.09.2011, 10:23
Ittigen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

You write the check in Swiss francs.

Cheques are very expensive and take about 6 weeks to clear with a British bank, use a money transfer if you are living abroad.
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 23.09.2011, 10:26
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,065
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,179 Times in 5,757 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
You write the check in Swiss francs.

Cheques are very expensive and take about 6 weeks to clear with a British bank, use a money transfer if you are living abroad.
You can't do that on a U.K. GBP account
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 24.09.2011, 00:23
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,775
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,090 Times in 6,289 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
You can't do that on a U.K. GBP account
You could, a cheque is just an instruction to pay, the clearance needs to be negotiated . a cheque has been written on the side of a cow!
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 24.09.2011, 19:05
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
peter h has become a little unpopularpeter h has become a little unpopular
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Torn 1234 - thank you very much. That is most helpful. (Which is more than can be said for the other posts ... .)

I shall do as you suggest, including sending the Cantonal Police a copy of the Customs exchange rate list with my remittance.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 24.09.2011, 19:11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
peter h has become a little unpopularpeter h has become a little unpopular
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

I mean Tom 1234. Just as well the Cantonal Police didn't also stop me to check my eyesight ...

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 30.09.2011, 16:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lachen (SZ)
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
FBai has earned some respectFBai has earned some respect
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

I got a speeding ticket back in july 2007. The speeding was done in March 2005, but didnīt get the ticket until 2007. It was in French which I donīt speak at all, so I wrote back to them in english asking for details and documentation (picture). 6 months later I received a new letter with the original fine (300 CHF I think) and an additional fee of 30 CHF. Again I wrote them asking for documentation and for ways for me to pay the fine (lived in Denmark at the time) but still no answer or nothing. A friendly Danish lady living in CH working for a laywer called me a year later saying that if I didnīt pay the fine would be converted into jail sentence. Once again I contacted the authorities and the Danish Embassy but still no documentation or ways of paying it.
Now we are moving to Switzerland and once again I contacted the embassy asking what to do. They apparently have access to some "criminal records" of speeding violators, but my name wasnīt in there and the embassy double checked to make sure.

Iīve been to Switzerland a few times since and have never been approached/arrested by authorities when showing passport or renting cars.

Guess my questions is: Is there an expiration date or something on fines?? I mean I have done everything I could, but no "luck" (response)

Could I one day out of the blue get arrested for a speeding ticket from 2005??

Fred
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 30.09.2011, 17:03
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 832 Times in 515 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Could I one day out of the blue get arrested for a speeding ticket from 2005??
Yes.

Why did you not pay it straight away?

With dictionaries and translation tools on the internet, there is no excuse for not understanding a speeding fine.

And if it was issued with a paying in slip, all the info was there for you to pay it.

The longer you delay, the higher the fine will get (interest), and the worse the outcome will be for you when they find you.
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 30.09.2011, 17:04
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,775
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,090 Times in 6,289 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post

Guess my questions is: Is there an expiration date or something on fines?? I mean I have done everything I could, but no "luck" (response)

Could I one day out of the blue get arrested for a speeding ticket from 2005??

Fred
Expect to be arrested when crossing the border by car or get a visit at 6.00am from the police when you stay in a hotel. You will have the possibility of paying a much higher fine or going before a judge.
Reply With Quote
  #376  
Old 30.09.2011, 17:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lachen (SZ)
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
FBai has earned some respectFBai has earned some respect
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Expect to be arrested when crossing the border by car or get a visit at 6.00am from the police when you stay in a hotel. You will have the possibility of paying a much higher fine or going before a judge.
Great!
Well, I have been to Switzerland a couple of times after, renting cars etc. in my own name and so on, but nothing yet.

Is there a way to "turn" myself in?? Just go to a police station?? And pay a huge fine I guess
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 30.09.2011, 17:10
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 6,153
Groaned at 309 Times in 249 Posts
Thanked 9,532 Times in 3,871 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post

Could I one day out of the blue get arrested for a speeding ticket from 2005??

Fred

yep! at least one member on here has had exactly that happen (and I know him in real life so I know it to be true) a routine check at the border and he found himself in the cells until the fine and all the costs where paid, that added up to quite a few times more then the original fine over the years (eg iirc 20x the original fine)

its not if, its when they catch up with you if your back and forward into switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 30.09.2011, 17:13
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lachen (SZ)
Posts: 23
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
FBai has earned some respectFBai has earned some respect
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Yes.

Why did you not pay it straight away?

With dictionaries and translation tools on the internet, there is no excuse for not understanding a speeding fine.

And if it was issued with a paying in slip, all the info was there for you to pay it.

The longer you delay, the higher the fine will get (interest), and the worse the outcome will be for you when they find you.
I did understand it was a speeding ticket, but they didnīt send me any documentation and we were only in CH for like 45 minutes or so in a rental car, so I was expecting them to actually proving that I was the violator. The way the suggested I paid it couldnīt be done through my bank at the time (canīt remember the issue), so I asked for other ways of paying it. I think the "slip" didnīt work with my bank so I asked for an account number, but no reply.
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 30.09.2011, 17:15
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 6,153
Groaned at 309 Times in 249 Posts
Thanked 9,532 Times in 3,871 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
I did understand it was a speeding ticket, but they didnīt send me any documentation and we were only in CH for like 45 minutes or so in a rental car, so I was expecting them to actually proving that I was the violator. The way the suggested I paid it couldnīt be done through my bank at the time (canīt remember the issue), so I asked for other ways of paying it. I think the "slip" didnīt work with my bank so I asked for an account number, but no reply.

everything you needed was on the slip, iban, bank account number, amount etc etc, every letter they send you also costs you, they also charge you for trying to trace you, so your bill could be quite eye watering by now
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 30.09.2011, 17:20
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,065
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,179 Times in 5,757 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do speeding fines work in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Great!
Well, I have been to Switzerland a couple of times after, renting cars etc. in my own name and so on, but nothing yet.
I guess that's because rental car companies don't have access to Police records on their computers.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0