Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.02.2013, 12:08
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,243
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 2,276 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

I never really thought about a dashcam but after seeing all these Russian videos I think it might be a fun thing to have. In Russia they say they cost about US$40.

Anybody have any experience of using these in CH? Are they even legal here? Any ideas of prices or availability.

I did some google searches but did not find a Swiss provider.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.02.2013, 12:34
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,403
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,003 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Hubby expressed interest in having one so I bought him this one for Christmas. It appears that it isn't available right now at amazon.de, but I think it was on the order of 70€ plus about 20€ shipping (I think it came from Hong Kong). Hubby didn't like it, not "nice" enough for his Audi so I have it now in my minivan.

I like it - in case anything happens we have documentation (unless it was my fault, then the card will mysteriously disappear!) and who knows, maybe I will catch that next meteorite flying through the sky and become "famous". It is low enough cost that I figured, what the heck, go for it!

Hubby wants this one...a bit more expensive, but also provides a lot more info and better looking, according to him! Haven't bought it, yet...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank drmom for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 18.02.2013, 12:47
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dubi-wonderland
Posts: 5,573
Groaned at 161 Times in 124 Posts
Thanked 7,297 Times in 2,942 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

On google.ch you need to search for tailgate cam.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 18.02.2013, 12:49
Sudo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 102
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 80 Times in 33 Posts
Sudo is considered knowledgeableSudo is considered knowledgeableSudo is considered knowledgeable
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

I have this one for one week now. Produces very good quality video and is fairly inexpensive. Got to pay 45 CHF extra to the Swiss post however due to 8 CHF import tax and 37 bullshit storage / inspection fee. But in the end it's still not that expensive.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sudo for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 18.02.2013, 12:51
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,363
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
Got to pay 45 CHF extra to the Swiss post however due to 8 CHF import tax and 37 bullshit storage / inspection fee. But in the end it's still not that expensive.
Next time, get it sent here:
http://www.grenzpaket.ch/shop_conten...Jestetten.html
or
http://www.lieferadresse-deutschland.de/
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank quark for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 18.02.2013, 12:59
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Oberland
Posts: 6,074
Groaned at 290 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 6,855 Times in 2,465 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

I've been using a dash cam fro the last few months. Cost approx CHF60 and the SD card was extra. But no Russian-style accidents to post as yet, but I'm trying hard...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 18.02.2013, 13:12
Glendyn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ZH. Horgen area
Posts: 938
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 828 Times in 365 Posts
Glendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

You don't need to buy a specialised bit of kit at all. I bought an HTC prepaid phone (for less than SFR80), unlocked it (for free via official HTC method website) and use a free Android app called Dailyroads voyager. I leave it in the car in a windscreen mount and it records video constantly with subtitles of GPS co-ordinates, speed etc. If I tap the screen (or on gforce over a certain limit) it saves the last 2 minutes video. I have already some shocking excerpts, and I have it as proof in case something happens. You can even set it to start stop automatically when the phone gets power from the charger (e.g. on start of ignition)
Other similar apps are available.
Having it on the phone also means that I can switch to other software, use it as a phone, navigation device, camera, video, voice recorder etc - all useful in an accident etc.
__________________
For sale: Baby Equipment & Air Conditioner

Last edited by Glendyn; 18.02.2013 at 13:23.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Glendyn for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.02.2013, 13:21
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wadi
Posts: 7,345
Groaned at 135 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 9,270 Times in 3,886 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
You don't need to buy a specialised bit of kit at all. I bought an HTC prepaid phone (for less than SFR80), unlocked it (for free via official HTC method website) and use a free Android app called Dailyroads voyager. I leave it in the car in a windscreen mount and it records video constantly with subtitles of GPS co-ordinates, speed etc. If I tap the screen (or on gforce over a certain limit) it saves the last 2 minutes video. I have already some shocking excerpts, and I have it as proof in case something happens.
Other similar apps are available.
Are they on Youtube?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 18.02.2013, 13:30
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 8,059
Groaned at 294 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 7,045 Times in 3,594 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Be very careful, in Switzerland you should not have anything on the dashboard or windscreen that stops your view of the road. Yes I know the Autobahn Vignette does.... so maybe you should mount it over on the right side.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 18.02.2013, 13:42
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 1,176
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 949 Times in 447 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
Be very careful, in Switzerland you should not have anything on the dashboard or windscreen that stops your view of the road. Yes I know the Autobahn Vignette does.... so maybe you should mount it over on the right side.
Does that include navigation systems?

I know California used to have the law that nav systems couldn't be attached to windscreens so you would get a beanbag to place the Garmin or whatever other brand on your dashboard - but if what you are saying is true that wouldn't work either.

Is it illegal to drive a car here with a Garmin attached to the windscreen or mounted on your dashboard - in which case why are they sold in local shops?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.02.2013, 13:47
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,243
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 2,276 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
Does that include navigation systems?

I know California used to have the law that nav systems couldn't be attached to windscreens so you would get a beanbag to place the Garmin or whatever other brand on your dashboard - but if what you are saying is true that wouldn't work either.

Is it illegal to drive a car here with a Garmin attached to the windscreen?
Is it illegal to drive a car here with a Garmin attached to the windscreen?

I have heard of people being fined in ZH Kanton for this & it is also an inspection failure at the Strassenverkehrsamt.
Some people said it it seems to be better accepted by the police if you put the GPS low on the left side rather than in the middle.

About "in which case why are they sold in local shops?" - so are guns but it does not mean you are exempted from the gun laws
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18.02.2013, 13:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,243
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 2,276 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
Be very careful, in Switzerland you should not have anything on the dashboard or windscreen that stops your view of the road. Yes I know the Autobahn Vignette does.... so maybe you should mount it over on the right side.
I always mount my Autobahn Vignette behind the rear view mirror; although theoretically I suppose you should rip off the rear view mirror!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18.02.2013, 14:03
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 1,176
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 949 Times in 447 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post


Is it illegal to drive a car here with a Garmin attached to the windscreen?

I have heard of people being fined in ZH Kanton for this & it is also an inspection failure at the Strassenverkehrsamt.
Some people said it it seems to be better accepted by the police if you put the GPS low on the left side rather than in the middle.

About "in which case why are they sold in local shops?" - so are guns but it does not mean you are exempted from the gun laws
It would be useful if someone could point to the specific law on this. There is a lot of misquotes of laws on the forum e.g. regarding driving foreign rental cars in Switzerland which can be very misleading.

If a GPS nav system can neither be mounted on the windscreen or on the dashboard then it is completely useless or dangerous as it would be more difficult to view it anywhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18.02.2013, 14:07
Leafy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ...
Posts: 944
Groaned at 89 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 1,397 Times in 542 Posts
Leafy has a reputation beyond reputeLeafy has a reputation beyond reputeLeafy has a reputation beyond reputeLeafy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
I have heard of people being fined in ZH Kanton for this
Are you being serious??

I mean, I know the Swiss police are always looking for new ways to hassle their predominantly law abiding citizens & relieve them of even more cash & their own boredom at the same time, but that's gotta be taking the piss, no?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18.02.2013, 14:26
yjt yjt is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 591
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 601 Times in 261 Posts
yjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
It would be useful if someone could point to the specific law on this. There is a lot of misquotes of laws on the forum e.g. regarding driving foreign rental cars in Switzerland which can be very misleading.

If a GPS nav system can neither be mounted on the windscreen or on the dashboard then it is completely useless or dangerous as it would be more difficult to view it anywhere else.
I think that its not generally against the law. One is allowed to attach it against the window (I do). It just shouldn't block your view of the road so put it either at the corner or right at the bottom of the screen. Just not right in the middle of screen like one occasionally sees.

The same theoretically goes for anything hanging from the rear view mirror. A few months back the local radio reported a person got fined in AG for having one of those football team thingys hanging from the mirror.

Unfortunately what is blocking the view of the road is in the judgment of the police officer so it will depend how much of a pain he wants to be.

Back on topic. I know AXA and I think one or two others give out free blackboxes with which you could prove who rear-ended who.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 18.02.2013, 14:38
yjt yjt is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 591
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 601 Times in 261 Posts
yjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond reputeyjt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
Are you being serious??

I mean, I know the Swiss police are always looking for new ways to hassle their predominantly law abiding citizens & relieve them of even more cash & their own boredom at the same time, but that's gotta be taking the piss, no?
I found the link to the GC fan It cost him 254 fr for having a GC pennant which you can see in the photo hanging.
The law is also explained in the report. One needs to be able to identify an object which is 12m or further on the street and objects like these could represent blind spots but its up to the police officer to decide what to do about it
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank yjt for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 18.02.2013, 14:56
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 2,734
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,631 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
It would be useful if someone could point to the specific law on this. There is a lot of misquotes of laws on the forum e.g. regarding driving foreign rental cars in Switzerland which can be very misleading.

If a GPS nav system can neither be mounted on the windscreen or on the dashboard then it is completely useless or dangerous as it would be more difficult to view it anywhere else.
Art. 71a VTS (SR 741.41 Verordnung über die technischen Anforderungen an Strassenfahrzeuge)
Quote:
1 Der Führer oder die Führerin muss, bei einer Augenhöhe von 0,75 m über der Sitzfläche, ausserhalb eines Halbkreises von 12,0 m Radius die Fahrbahn frei überblicken können. Die Zulassungsbehörde verfügt die erforderlichen Auflagen (zusätzliche Spiegel, Mitfahrer, Begleitfahrzeug), wenn diese Bedingung bei Arbeitsmotorwagen nicht erfüllt ist.
[...]
4 Scheiben, die für die Sicht des Führers oder der Führerin nötig sind, müssen eine klare, verzerrungsfreie Durchsicht gestatten, witterungsfest sein und auch nach längerem Gebrauch mindestens 70 Prozent Licht durchlassen. An, vor oder hinter diesen Scheiben dürfen keine Gegenstände angebracht werden, welche die Sicht des Führers oder der Führerin beeinträchtigen und die Lichtdurchlässigkeit unter 70 Prozent vermindern. Ausgenommen sind Gegenstände, die gesetzlich vorgeschrieben oder vorgesehen sind oder für den Einsatz im Ordnungsdienst vorübergehend angebracht werden (z.B. Gitter), sowie Navigationsgeräte ausserhalb des Sichtkreises nach Absatz 1
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 18.02.2013, 15:10
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 1,176
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 949 Times in 447 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

So the relevant pieces with regards to a navigation device Google translate as:

1 "the leader or the leader must, at a height of 0.75 m above the eyes of the seat, on the outskirts of a semicircle of 12.0 m radius, the roadway can overlook free. The licensing authority has the necessary requirements (additional mirrors, passengers, support vehicle), if this condition is not fulfilled at work motor cars."

and
4 "slices, which are necessary for the view of the driver, or the leader must allow a clear, distortion-free view to be weather resistant and let through even after prolonged use at least 70 percent of light. In front of or behind these discs No objects should be placed, which impair the vision of the leader, or the leader, and reduce light transmission by 70 percent. Excluding items that are required by law or provided or attached temporarily for use in the security service (eg mesh), and navigation devices are outside the view circle in paragraph 1;"

Now that translation renders the law somewhat muddy. Can anyone please provide a better translation of the piece about 0.75m above the eyes of the seat i.e. "bei einer Augenhöhe von 0,75 m über der Sitzfläche" as that seems to be the key to the positioning of my Garmin!
__________________
Expat In Switzerland website and FREE monthly e-newsletter containing articles on life in Switzerland & what's on events guide
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18.02.2013, 15:17
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,243
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 2,276 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

Quote:
View Post
So the relevant pieces with regards to a navigation device Google translate as:

1 "the leader or the leader must, at a height of 0.75 m above the eyes of the seat, on the outskirts of a semicircle of 12.0 m radius, the roadway can overlook free. The licensing authority has the necessary requirements (additional mirrors, passengers, support vehicle), if this condition is not fulfilled at work motor cars."

and
4 "slices, which are necessary for the view of the driver, or the leader must allow a clear, distortion-free view to be weather resistant and let through even after prolonged use at least 70 percent of light. In front of or behind these discs No objects should be placed, which impair the vision of the leader, or the leader, and reduce light transmission by 70 percent. Excluding items that are required by law or provided or attached temporarily for use in the security service (eg mesh), and navigation devices are outside the view circle in paragraph 1;"

Now that translation renders the law somewhat muddy. Can anyone please provide a better translation of the piece about 0.75m above the eyes of the seat i.e. "bei einer Augenhöhe von 0,75 m über der Sitzfläche" as that seems to be the key to the positioning of my Garmin!
I would translate this as "the view from your eyes must be measured at a height of 0.75m above the seat cushion" - so assuming an average person height - no doubt somebody can better translate this.

I would assume, for example, that you are OK if the device is mounted so that a straight line from a height of 0.75m above the seat cushion touches the top of the GPS & then touches the body of the car - so does not obstruct view of the road.

But, a policeman could always say the GPS obstructs your view & it would be hard to argue against
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18.02.2013, 15:26
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 2,734
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,631 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dashcam (Dashboard Camera)

1 The driver must, assumed his eyes are exactly 75 cm above the seat, be able to overlook all parts of the road that are at least 12 meter away (from the drivers eyes?!).

4. [...] On, before or behind screens no objects which will hinders the drivers view must be affixed. Except, objects mandated by law or sat-nav devices which are outside the minimum viewing area as defined in Subparagraph 1.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
dash camera video




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Broken' Sony camera: how can I get the photos off the camera memory??? epiket General off-topic 7 02.05.2012 10:26
Dashboard Language change KCUSA Transportation/driving 10 01.04.2012 15:05
Camera film sezdee Other/general 2 07.03.2011 13:02
Chrysler dashboard (in KMH) SAN_Man Items for sale 0 15.09.2010 13:43


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0