Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 20.02.2016, 17:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 49
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
ablalarom has earned some respectablalarom has earned some respect
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Hi
My 2007-70.000km fiat punto didn't pass the control technique in Geneva yesterday because it was not clean apparently. I didn't wash it professionally or inside the engine, so after they told me that, I went straight to have it cleaned for 100chf but I couldn't get back to the service des autos on time. Now I'm wondering, I need to do about 150 km before Monday when I can come back to the control... Will it get dirty again???
I know the question is maybe a little stupid but I don't know the degree of dirt that a car can get there or how clean it's supposed to be. And I'd like to avoid another 100 stupid chf wasted...
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 20.02.2016, 18:22
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 14,002
Groaned at 210 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 11,314 Times in 6,419 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Quote:
View Post
Hi
My 2007-70.000km fiat punto didn't pass the control technique in Geneva yesterday because it was not clean apparently. I didn't wash it professionally or inside the engine, so after they told me that, I went straight to have it cleaned for 100chf but I couldn't get back to the service des autos on time. Now I'm wondering, I need to do about 150 km before Monday when I can come back to the control... Will it get dirty again???
I know the question is maybe a little stupid but I don't know the degree of dirt that a car can get there or how clean it's supposed to be. And I'd like to avoid another 100 stupid chf wasted...
Unless you have a serious leak it will be fine
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 20.02.2016, 18:29
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 4,097
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,981 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Quote:
View Post
Hi
My 2007-70.000km fiat punto didn't pass the control technique in Geneva yesterday because it was not clean apparently. I didn't wash it professionally or inside the engine, so after they told me that, I went straight to have it cleaned for 100chf but I couldn't get back to the service des autos on time. Now I'm wondering, I need to do about 150 km before Monday when I can come back to the control... Will it get dirty again???
I know the question is maybe a little stupid but I don't know the degree of dirt that a car can get there or how clean it's supposed to be. And I'd like to avoid another 100 stupid chf wasted...

If you end up driving through slush or mud then the underside will get dirty again. If that is the case just take it to a drive through with an underside program.


Basically the point of the underside and engine bay being clean is that it allows them to see any damage or wear marks indicating that something isn't in order, and also if the car has a significant leak.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09.07.2016, 17:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: BL
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
vpower has made some interesting contributions
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

I was also looking for a service in Basel area to wash the motor and chassis before the MFK - was about to go to TCS for CHF140, only to discover that they do not work in the weekend. My first MFK after importing the vehicle is on Monday, so I was not left with too many options: either to go to http://www.dorfgarage-aesch.ch/ and wash myself or to go to Weil am Rhein and find something. So whoever needs to wash the motor, these guys (http://www.automobile-issler.de/waschen-pflege) do it for ~EUR50 - I'll go there Monday morning and will leave my feedback here afterwards.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank vpower for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 10.07.2016, 10:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,138
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,095 Times in 2,633 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Stop and go in weil does a wash if you really feel the need. Tbh i have never bothered apart from waggling the nozzle underneath.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05.12.2016, 18:40
zurcherbaby's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 96
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 119 Times in 50 Posts
zurcherbaby has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

I took the mfk and they found that the rear light was foggy with steam and needed replacement since probably broken + broken bulb on the rear licence plate light.
I can change those myself since it's easy replacement.
My question: can I change it myself or do I need a stamp from a garage to prove that I've had it done for the 2nd visit ?
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05.12.2016, 18:50
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 4,097
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,981 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Quote:
View Post
I took the mfk and they found that the rear light was foggy with steam and needed replacement since probably broken + broken bulb on the rear licence plate light.
I can change those myself since it's easy replacement.
My question: can I change it myself or do I need a stamp from a garage to prove that I've had it done for the 2nd visit ?
No need for a stamp. Even if you do your own brake job. As long as the work is performed suitably you're ok.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 05.12.2016, 19:15
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,304
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,574 Times in 3,416 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Quote:
View Post
I took the mfk and they found that the rear light was foggy with steam and needed replacement since probably broken + broken bulb on the rear licence plate light.
I can change those myself since it's easy replacement.
My question: can I change it myself or do I need a stamp from a garage to prove that I've had it done for the 2nd visit ?
You need a second visit for such mundane things
Have given a go-but-please-fix-asap with much worse things.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #89  
Old 06.12.2016, 03:56
zurcherbaby's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 96
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 119 Times in 50 Posts
zurcherbaby has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Quote:
View Post
You need a second visit for such mundane things
Have given a go-but-please-fix-asap with much worse things.
To be fair I had 3 fails that required a counter visit:
- Steam in the bottom right back light (small fog light, not even the main one)
- Broken bulb over the rear licence plate
- Discolored rear blinker...too white for their taste

It's good that they do a very thorough check, now I wonder how those old cars make it to the streets.....
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 19.12.2016, 18:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 41
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
echocharlie has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Our car is up for an MFK in early Feb - just got the appointment card.

Couple of questions -

1) What is actually done/tested as part of it? I don't really fancy getting a garage to take the car for me, as any time we go near one a bill for many hundreds appears, for the simplest of tasks. My german is okish - what will I be expected to do?

2) As above, the car is in good shape, and recently serviced. Other than turning up clean (as mentioned by previous posts), anything else to specifically check that's a simple fail? (other than simple stuff such as bulbs?)

Cheers.

EC
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 19.12.2016, 18:20
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,354
Groaned at 35 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 6,280 Times in 2,007 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Quote:
View Post
1) What is actually done/tested as part of it? I don't really fancy getting a garage to take the car for me, as any time we go near one a bill for many hundreds appears, for the simplest of tasks. My german is okish - what will I be expected to do?

2) As above, the car is in good shape, and recently serviced. Other than turning up clean (as mentioned by previous posts), anything else to specifically check that's a simple fail? (other than simple stuff such as bulbs?)
No need to pay a garage to do it. I'm not sure what role a 'normal' German-speaker is expected to play in the testing process, but I feigned ignorance and after giving me a grunt and a roll of the eyes, the tester took the keys from me and did everything else himself. I imagine if I spoke German, he'd have asked me to work the controls while he tested various things (indicators, etc) rather than having to jump in/out of the vehicle each time to verify their functioning. (The French Controle Technique has another approach to this: mirrors!)

I would double-check that all of the lights work, that the 'Check Engine' light is off, that there are no visible leaks, wipers are in good shape, washer fluid is topped up, and that all of the bodywork/trim is secure. Beyond that, you should be fine.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 19.12.2016, 19:11
Fish Paste's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 411
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 474 Times in 223 Posts
Fish Paste has earned the respect of manyFish Paste has earned the respect of manyFish Paste has earned the respect of many
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Read this:
Testing a Car (MFK)
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 16.01.2017, 14:07
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
megafine has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

Quote:
View Post
Our car is up for an MFK in early Feb - just got the appointment card.

Couple of questions -

1) What is actually done/tested as part of it? I don't really fancy getting a garage to take the car for me, as any time we go near one a bill for many hundreds appears, for the simplest of tasks. My german is okish - what will I be expected to do?

2) As above, the car is in good shape, and recently serviced. Other than turning up clean (as mentioned by previous posts), anything else to specifically check that's a simple fail? (other than simple stuff such as bulbs?)

Cheers.

EC
A few pointers:
Do an emergency brake from c.40kms to hear/feel any possible issues.

Check your lights and fittings - seems to be common trip up area, in my case the lights for the number plate need to have the glass cleaned from the inside ... no return trip, simply get it done ... so back to trusty Haynes Manual.

The rest is simple MOT stuff from what I saw.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 16.01.2017, 16:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
megafine has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car and engine cleaning pre mfk test

This was a self-clean, not professional using both engine cleaner spray and a plant spray with car shampoo ,,,, wiping with kitchen cloth.

Not difficult and quick to do, not brave enough to do as diesel van drivers did when at the car wash ... spray everywhere in the engine and underneath with the jet hose full on,,,,,

Sufficient for MFK, passed no problem, car 16yrs old and first engine clean in 2 yrs.
Attached Thumbnails
car-engine-cleaning-pre-mfk-test-dscn0746.jpg   car-engine-cleaning-pre-mfk-test-dscn0747.jpg  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
car wash, engine wash




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MFK - MOT- TUV car test Richard Complaints corner 56 12.11.2013 04:02
Buying car with Expired MFK and abgas test vij Transportation/driving 6 03.08.2012 11:27
Garage for Import car pre MFK test TradeTicker Transportation/driving 32 14.07.2011 17:42
importing car MFK lacks sound test/maximum speed aperitivo Transportation/driving 9 19.04.2011 21:26
Registering a car in Basel - STRANGE Emission Test request from MFK!!!! salobrena Transportation/driving 4 25.09.2009 18:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0