Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 22.08.2015, 00:13
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,958
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,560 Times in 5,401 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Conversion of Indian Drivers License

I think it is important to stress that the license conversion must be completed within the 12 months after you arrived here.

After 12 months your foreign license is no longer valid in Switzerland!
The penalties for using it here are severe! You can always convert the foreign license up to 5 years after you arrived here, but you are not allowed to drive in Switzerland after the first 12 months! I assume if you need a practical test you need to ask the driving office how you can do this legally: maybe they give you a special permission.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 22.08.2015, 00:41
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,652
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,766 Times in 2,125 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Conversion of Indian Drivers License

Quote:
View Post
I think it is important to stress that the license conversion must be completed within the 12 months after you arrived here.

After 12 months your foreign license is no longer valid in Switzerland!
The penalties for using it here are severe! You can always convert the foreign license up to 5 years after you arrived here, but you are not allowed to drive in Switzerland after the first 12 months! I assume if you need a practical test you need to ask the driving office how you can do this legally: maybe they give you a special permission.
I've always scratched my head over that one, as if 12 months and one day later you forget everything you learned about driving.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22.08.2015, 11:45
eskay's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: olten
Posts: 5
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eskay has become a little unpopulareskay has become a little unpopular
Re: Conversion of Indian Drivers License

Quote:
View Post
I think it is important to stress that the license conversion must be completed within the 12 months after you arrived here. [B]
.
This is not true in kanton Solothurn. You can convert after 12 months.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26.08.2015, 03:12
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,958
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,560 Times in 5,401 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Conversion of Indian Drivers License

Quote:
View Post
This is not true in kanton Solothurn. You can convert after 12 months.
I did not write that, read the second paragraph! Can you read and comprehend English? There are 2 factors: being able to drive after 1 year & being able to avoid taking the full Swiss driving test after 1 year.

In Solothurn, and every other Swiss canton, you are not allowed to drive after living here 12 months without a Swiss license, you must exchange it.

In Solothurn, and every other Swiss canton, you are able to convert your foreign license to a Swiss license, up to 5 years after arriving here. For some countries, there might be an extra driving proficiency test. After 5 years you MUST take the full test.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
drivers license conversion.. but Swiss to UK grynch Transportation/driving 4 22.10.2012 10:05
Conversion of UAE/Indian Driving License lansyjp Transportation/driving 8 28.09.2010 11:04
Non conversion of drivers licence-stopped by Police eddiesmith1001 Transportation/driving 23 07.09.2009 19:06
About the conversion of license for a trip nirmala.kalyan Transportation/driving 1 01.06.2009 14:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0