Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06.04.2015, 15:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,134
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,632 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
i hardly imagine that the original poster was so naive to think that he could simply put his plates on a different car without involving the vehicle licensing authorities.
You haven't been here long ...; )
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 06.04.2015, 17:42
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,067
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,583 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
as is frequently the case here, a right load of bö££öx from people who just seem to like talking out of there hats.

it's a perfectly normal process to "borrow" a car and use your own plates on it.

here's the facts in german for kanton bern.

all kantons are basically the same although prices will vary and i didn't post a link to the FR website cos there's always some smartie chips in with " you can get away with anything in FR"............

http://www.pom.be.ch/pom/de/index/st...gausweise.html
That's for damaged and otherwise untested vehicles, not for borrowing a currently registered vehicle.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06.04.2015, 18:19
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fribourg
Posts: 142
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 38 Posts
ayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthy
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
That's for damaged and otherwise untested vehicles, not for borrowing a currently registered vehicle.

Tom

what are you raving about? the system is for a temporary registration of a vehicle that is eligible for a normal full registration.

it can be a currently registered vehicle as in the case this thread is about or it can be a currently unregistered one which is often the case if a garage gives a customer one of their on sale cars while they repair his / her vehicle.


contrary to most "knowledgable authorities" fairly recently arrived in the country who post "facts" on the EF, i do know what i'm talking about and have nearly 40 years experience.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06.04.2015, 18:27
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,067
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,583 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
what are you raving about? the system is for a temporary registration of a vehicle that is eligible for a normal full registration.
Indeed, it is about obtaining temporary plates for an un-registered but otherwise registerable vehicle, NOT about using one's own plates from a currently registered vehicle on another currently registered vehicle, which is what the OP asked.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06.04.2015, 18:38
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fribourg
Posts: 142
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 38 Posts
ayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthy
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, it is about obtaining temporary plates for an un-registered but otherwise registerable vehicle, NOT about using one's own plates from a currently registered vehicle on another currently registered vehicle, which is what the OP asked.

Tom
sorry mate, but i think you really should go and take some german lessons and re-read the link i posted.

you are talking nonsense. the obtaining of a temporary number plate and registration for a day or a few days or for a month for export is a completely different paragraph and subsection in all the kantonal strassenverkehrsamts.

i'm away fur ma tea the noo, you'll have had yours?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06.04.2015, 18:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,067
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,583 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
sorry mate, but i think you really should go and take some german lessons and re-read the link i posted.

you are talking nonsense. the obtaining of a temporary number plate and registration for a day or a few days or for a month for export is a completely different paragraph and subsection in all the kantonal strassenverkehrsamts.

i'm away fur ma tea the noo, you'll have had yours?
I read the same in Italian, I am correct, you are not.

And I couldn't care less about German.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 06.04.2015, 20:34
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fribourg
Posts: 142
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 38 Posts
ayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthy
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
I read the same in Italian, I am correct, you are not.

And I couldn't care less about German.

Tom

i wasn't aware that the bern StVa website was available in italian.

i suspect that your language proficiency is not quite what you assert it is and that you've been reading on the TI website about what you're convinced is the truth but is actually the truth about a totally different subject.

link please!


maybe you were reading this:

http://www4.ti.ch/di/sc/veicoli/licenza-temporanea/



my italian's fairly non existant, but i've managed to find what i think is the relevant info here:

http://www4.ti.ch/di/sc/veicoli/lice...lo-di-riserva/
Reply With Quote
This user groans at ayemibbe for this post:
  #28  
Old 06.04.2015, 20:53
xynth's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 753
Groaned at 37 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,681 Times in 503 Posts
xynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
sorry mate, but i think you really should go and take some german lessons and re-read the link i posted.

you are talking nonsense. the obtaining of a temporary number plate and registration for a day or a few days or for a month for export is a completely different paragraph and subsection in all the kantonal strassenverkehrsamts.

i'm away fur ma tea the noo, you'll have had yours?
Well it looks like the link you posted refers to a possibility that is supposed to cover the case where your car is not fit for driving and you need a replacement vehicle with your own plates while it is repaired. You could argue that the precondition is irrelevant, since you just want to swap the license plates, but then again the authorities might just deny your request and would have every right to do so.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank xynth for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 07.04.2015, 00:15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fribourg
Posts: 142
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 38 Posts
ayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthy
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
Well it looks like the link you posted refers to a possibility that is supposed to cover the case where your car is not fit for driving and you need a replacement vehicle with your own plates while it is repaired. You could argue that the precondition is irrelevant, since you just want to swap the license plates, but then again the authorities might just deny your request and would have every right to do so.
i'm not arguing anything never mind preconditions, just stating the facts.

i've done it dozens of times in FR and have NEVER been asked why.

it's actually a convenient solution when you have 2 cars on one plate plus a 3rd "oldtimer" that only gets used infrequently in the summer months..............

i know other people who have done it also frequently in BE and have never been refused.

actually i know people in virtually every kanton in the country who use this to their advantage.

but i do realise that the majority here on EF do things there own way ( ie ,what they read in english on the forum is the gospel) and rarely "go native" enough to be capable of discovering the true facts and curious customs of the swiss nation.

where's that ticino tom gone now? probably getting an early night before another hard day on the stock exchange or some such productive labour of love for mankind in general.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at ayemibbe for this post:
  #30  
Old 07.04.2015, 01:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,018
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,935 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

For any given car at any given time there can only be one registrant (or none at all, if it's non-registered). Since the car has already been registered by the lender, and thus insurance has already been put in place, the only reasonable thing OP could do is to keep the registrants insurance policy from getting more expensive if he happens to damage the car (if he's not guilty the culprits' insurance or the culprit himsel will be held liable) - that would be a "Bonusschutz" (bonus protection?).

Quote:
View Post
what are you raving about? the system is for a temporary registration of a vehicle that is eligible for a normal full registration.

it can be a currently registered vehicle as in the case this thread is about or it can be a currently unregistered one [...]
Wrong. Your link only applies to non-registered vehicles, which DOES NOT apply to OPs quesion.

Quote:
contrary to most "knowledgable authorities" fairly recently arrived in the country who post "facts" on the EF, i do know what i'm talking about and have nearly 40 years experience.
Must be why you're referring to France, the laws of which are perfectly irrelevant here.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 07.04.2015, 06:49
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Zurich, Adliswil.
Posts: 685
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 339 Times in 216 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

This is very, very interesting. So with an existing switch plate for two cars, I can replace one of the two cars "for maintenance" with a third car, for up to 1 month.

Do I get asked which of the 2 existing cars I will not be using?
The 2 existing cars could be VW Lupos, and the 3rd a Ferrari I keep on standby???

This really is useful. Is the cost for 1 month about 60chf? I understand this is minimum legal cover.

There is of course the other question relevant to this thread, is the "Ferrari" on someone else's plate already...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank p42 for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 07.04.2015, 12:00
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fribourg
Posts: 142
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 38 Posts
ayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthy
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
For any given car at any given time there can only be one registrant (or none at all, if it's non-registered). Since the car has already been registered by the lender, and thus insurance has already been put in place, the only reasonable thing OP could do is to keep the registrants insurance policy from getting more expensive if he happens to damage the car (if he's not guilty the culprits' insurance or the culprit himsel will be held liable) - that would be a "Bonusschutz" (bonus protection?).



Wrong. Your link only applies to non-registered vehicles, which DOES NOT apply to OPs quesion.

Must be why you're referring to France, the laws of which are perfectly irrelevant here.
i see you've been here just a few months and already think you know better than the printed german words of the authorities.

france? where'd ye get that from?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07.04.2015, 12:16
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fribourg
Posts: 142
Groaned at 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 48 Times in 38 Posts
ayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthyayemibbe is considered unworthy
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
This is very, very interesting. So with an existing switch plate for two cars, I can replace one of the two cars "for maintenance" with a third car, for up to 1 month.

Do I get asked which of the 2 existing cars I will not be using?
The 2 existing cars could be VW Lupos, and the 3rd a Ferrari I keep on standby???

This really is useful. Is the cost for 1 month about 60chf? I understand this is minimum legal cover.

There is of course the other question relevant to this thread, is the "Ferrari" on someone else's plate already...
i just spent some time replying in detail but somehow it got lost in transit............

yes a ferrari is the same category as a lupo so perfectly doable.

the cost for the reg doc has nothing to do with insurance, your own insurance covers the ferrari.

and yes, of course you have to hand in the reg doc of the car you're replacing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ayemibbe for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 07.04.2015, 12:42
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Zurich, Adliswil.
Posts: 685
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 339 Times in 216 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
i just spent some time replying in detail but somehow it got lost in transit............

yes a ferrari is the same category as a lupo so perfectly doable.

the cost for the reg doc has nothing to do with insurance, your own insurance covers the ferrari.

and yes, of course you have to hand in the reg doc of the car you're replacing.
Your detailed reply was very clear. It sounded a bit too good though first off.

Do I get the replaced car reg doc back unchanged at the end (ie, without extra fees?)
Presumably my 3rd party insurance component would get jacked up in this case (more powerful car) but not in the typical case of a smaller or similar vehicle.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank p42 for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 07.04.2015, 12:50
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,067
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,583 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
i see you've been here just a few months and already think you know better than the printed german words of the authorities.
Actually, yes.

Though in my case, the frogs had done a bad translation, and the Ticinese only had the frog version.

Fortunately, the examiner asked for the original D version, and immediately he and I understood the translation mistake after receiving the fax (this was regarding installing a sidecar 25 years ago).

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08.04.2015, 00:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,527 Times in 4,670 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
i'm not arguing anything never mind preconditions, just stating the facts.

i've done it dozens of times in FR and have NEVER been asked why.
Quote:
View Post

Wrong. Your link only applies to non-registered vehicles, which DOES NOT apply to OPs quesion.

Must be why you're referring to France, the laws of which are perfectly irrelevant here.
Quote:
View Post
i see you've been here just a few months and already think you know better than the printed german words of the authorities.

france? where'd ye get that from?
I assume the poster thought FR meant France
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08.04.2015, 01:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,018
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,935 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Borrowing a car and putting my number plates.

Quote:
View Post
i see you've been here just a few months and already think you know better than the printed german words of the authorities.

france? where'd ye get that from?
You're right, FR is (should have been) clear. My bad.

Is EF membership a prerequisite for living in CH? Let alone for citizenship? Does that mean I've been without home country for my first 50 years?

As for the temporary registration:
The explanations clearly say that the temporary registration is for the replacement of an unusable car, not just an unused car.

That my well make p42's intent illegal, which in turn would mean that he has no insurance coverage. What's more, trying to bypass your dues while driving a Ferrari(!) will definitely not make the authorites turn a blind eye when informed of the situation, let alone in case of a mishap.

Do you really think you could legally save a few hundred CHF by temporarily retiring the small car and paying cheap road tax for the Ferrari? CH beaurocracy is WAY too effective for that!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car importation, number plates and drivers licenses echocharlie Transportation/driving 10 22.10.2015 16:12
Car number plates Belgianmum Transportation/driving 11 04.03.2012 20:27
Car with Greek number plates skafetzakis Transportation/driving 10 21.12.2010 12:54
Fact Sheet #1 - Car Registration and Number Plates litespeed Transportation/driving 111 21.05.2010 00:58
How to remove car number plates? AndrewD Transportation/driving 44 23.02.2010 13:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0