I'm buying a 5 year old car from Germany and the dealer has agreed to deliver it to me on a Saturday. He insists his back office know how to prepare all the necessary paperwork but I'm not at all convinced he knows what he needs to present at the border or how the whole process works. Can someone confirm that he will need:
- Certificate of conformity
- Certificate of origin
- Registration document
What happens with the import taxes? He's obviously not paying these on my behalf so how would that work since I won't be there at the border with him?
Is the order of next events:
- I take the car somewhere to pay the taxes
- I insure the car (I guess one of the papers he or I will get will allow this?)
- I need to buy Swiss number plate holders (where? can I fit them myself?)
- I go somewhere to get Swiss number plates. They take the German export plates, I fit the Swiss number plates
- I will get called in for an MFK but no need for an emissions test as the car is fairly new. Also no need for a gas test booklet
- I wash the car as best I can and take it in for the MFK
What have I gotten wrong or missed?