Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.10.2015, 15:37
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Genève
Posts: 118
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
nabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around here
Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

I am currently looking at cars (MPVs and SUVs) to purchase but due to the VW scandal in EU, i have been concerned whether to buy a diesel one or to go with essence.

What do you guys think about this? Is there a possibility in near future that diesel may become scarce?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.10.2015, 15:41
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,705
Groaned at 482 Times in 292 Posts
Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,959 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
I am currently looking at cars (MPVs and SUVs) to purchase but due to the VW scandal in EU, i have been concerned whether to buy a diesel one or to go with essence.

What do you guys think about this? Is there a possibility in near future that diesel may become scarce?
Not a hope in hell, what do you think trucks, tractors run on ?

Diesel vehicles are only really worth it if you do a high km per year and mainly on long runs rather than short hops. Think around 30'000km per year to make it worthwhile
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.10.2015, 16:04
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Genève
Posts: 118
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
nabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
Not a hope in hell, what do you think trucks, tractors run on ?

Diesel vehicles are only really worth it if you do a high km per year and mainly on long runs rather than short hops. Think around 30'000km per year to make it worthwhile
would 275,000km engine be too much for buying and running for 2 years or so?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.10.2015, 16:11
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,257
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,431 Times in 6,009 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
would 275,000km engine be too much for buying and running for 2 years or so?
Have you ever owned a car or any idea about them? At all? Actually got a driving license?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 01.10.2015, 16:34
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Genève
Posts: 118
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
nabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
Have you ever owned a car or any idea about them? At all? Actually got a driving license?
yes. I know that over 200,000, the engine becomes almost useless but personally speaking, I have never kept a diesel car which i was keen on purchasing this time. I have never been a fan of diesel cars because of their relative slow throttle response and the fact that they are bad for city driving. I wasn't necessarily thinking about buying one with such km but for the sake of information, i was wondering.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.10.2015, 16:44
NutsAndBolts's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 63
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 56 Posts
NutsAndBolts has earned some respectNutsAndBolts has earned some respect
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
I know that over 200,000, the engine becomes almost useless
...
I have never been a fan of diesel cars because of their relative slow throttle response and the fact that they are bad for city driving.
That is quite a statement!
Look for Mercs and others that go to the 7 digits without any issues...
And as for the slow throttle, it seems it was very long ago that you tried a diesel, as most of the diesels (the majority has turbo) these days have a better response than petrol engines, where the turbo is not the rule, but the exception.
The advice about the higher mileage per year is appropriate, so if you aren't going to drive that much, choose a petrol engine.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NutsAndBolts for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.10.2015, 16:53
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,855
Groaned at 167 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,886 Times in 3,980 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Actually I'd suggest that now might be a great time to buy a VW group diesel, as there may well be a drop in the market values while people figuer out the implications of the 'scandal'. Bear in mind that there's nothing wrong with the cars, and they still meet all EU requirements, it was only for one specific US test that the engine mapping was modified.

In CH, though, they've never been as popular as some countries like France, where the much lower duty makes diesel fuel much cheaper, and hence overall cost of owning and running a diesel car is lower than petrol for many more people. Or at least it's perceived as such. I'm not convinced myself.

High mileages in general shouldn't present any problem as long as the official service intervals have been maintained.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 01.10.2015, 16:54
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Genève
Posts: 118
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
nabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
That is quite a statement!
Look for Mercs and others that go to the 7 digits without any issues...
And as for the slow throttle, it seems it was very long ago that you tried a diesel, as most of the diesels (the majority has turbo) these days have a better response than petrol engines, where the turbo is not the rule, but the exception.
The advice about the higher mileage per year is appropriate, so if you aren't going to drive that much, choose a petrol engine.
ah! I didn't mean i won't be driving much. I drive my car a lot around the city but there are several breaks in between. My question was whether a 2.0 TDCi engine with kms like 250k+ will be worth driving around? especially that it's dirt cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.10.2015, 16:55
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,241 Times in 5,006 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
...
What do you guys think about this? Is there a possibility in near future that diesel may become scarce?
When oil is refined a proportion becomes petrol, and proportion becomes diesel. The proportions of production are pretty much fixed (the only determining factor is makeup of the oil).

That means that if the demand for diesel tanked (hah!), the price would similarly fall - but it wouldn't become scarce.

Diesel engines last a long time. At 250km it's likely that other things will break before the engine does. And if it's cheap enough - who cares! (Bangernomics).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 01.10.2015, 17:04
NutsAndBolts's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 63
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 56 Posts
NutsAndBolts has earned some respectNutsAndBolts has earned some respect
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
My question was whether a 2.0 TDCi engine with kms like 250k+ will be worth driving around? especially that it's dirt cheap.
Well, it's good that the initial cost is low, but mind that after starting driving it, that can change, as there's more to fail/wear out than the engine.
If it's a 2.0 TDCi, then it's a Ford you are talking about, right?
At least, choose to buy one with a fresh MFK.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01.10.2015, 17:33
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 737
Groaned at 328 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 1,374 Times in 546 Posts
idefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of many
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

You want to buy a Ford diesel with 275k kms? LOL
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank idefix for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.10.2015, 17:52
Susan57's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kilchberg ZH
Posts: 884
Groaned at 23 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,163 Times in 442 Posts
Susan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Have a look at our Mercedes ML....we are selling it, though it's a wondeful car....Downsizing for us, now the Long legged Boys don't ride with Mommie!


Mercedes ML 250 BlueTec For Sale 84,000km
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.10.2015, 17:53
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Genève
Posts: 118
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
nabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
You want to buy a Ford diesel with 275k kms? LOL
care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01.10.2015, 17:57
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,400
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,576 Times in 6,201 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
When oil is refined a proportion becomes petrol, and proportion becomes diesel. The proportions of production are pretty much fixed (the only determining factor is makeup of the oil).

That means that if the demand for diesel tanked (hah!), the price would similarly fall - but it wouldn't become scarce.

Diesel engines last a long time. At 250km it's likely that other things will break before the engine does. And if it's cheap enough - who cares! (Bangernomics).
Diesel oil is the same as heating oil (but just taxed differently ,which is why you get the colorant in low duty heating oil). With lots of people these days replacing oil heating by gas, I wouild expect demand for the stuff to be dropping.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.10.2015, 17:59
NutsAndBolts's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 63
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 56 Posts
NutsAndBolts has earned some respectNutsAndBolts has earned some respect
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
Have a look at our Mercedes ML.
(present asking price: 37'500)

Doesn't match this:
Quote:
View Post
dirt cheap
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NutsAndBolts for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.10.2015, 17:59
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
Have a look at our Mercedes ML....we are selling it, though it's a wondeful car....Downsizing for us, now the Long legged Boys don't ride with Mommie!


Mercedes ML 250 BlueTec For Sale 84,000km
Quote:
View Post
ah! I didn't mean i won't be driving much. I drive my car a lot around the city but there are several breaks in between. My question was whether a 2.0 TDCi engine with kms like 250k+ will be worth driving around? especially that it's dirt cheap.
A good try at a plug, but you're probably peeing up the wrong tree.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01.10.2015, 18:03
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Genève
Posts: 118
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
nabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
A good try at a plug, but you're probably peeing up the wrong tree.
4,700 chf.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01.10.2015, 18:07
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,783
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,380 Times in 6,645 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
4,700 chf.
S-Max with stellar KMs and out of date MFK.

Seriously?? Have you not read any post on here about what cars to buy and what cars to steer clear of??

This Sharan is a better bet if that is what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01.10.2015, 18:12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Genève
Posts: 118
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
nabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around herenabeel.a has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
S-Max with stellar KMs and out of date MFK.

Seriously?? Have you not read any post on here about what cars to buy and what cars to steer clear of??

This Sharan is a better bet if that is what you are looking for.
I haven't negociated yet. Obviously getting a used car without MKF is retarded. I'm avoiding anything older than 2006.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01.10.2015, 18:13
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,783
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,380 Times in 6,645 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
I haven't negociated yet. Obviously getting a used car without MKF is retarded. I'm avoiding anything older than 2006.
Why??

A well maintained 15 year old VW is a better bet than that S-Max. That dealer has a dozen cars up for sale - none saying "fresh MFK", that rings alarm bells to me.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a Second Hand Car logo123 Transportation/driving 11 24.09.2015 12:17
Buying a second hand car nabeel.a Transportation/driving 6 12.06.2015 11:17
buying second hand car in zurich bevilachka Transportation/driving 5 14.09.2014 23:12
buying second hand car-story TradeTicker Transportation/driving 10 10.10.2012 17:06
Buying A Car Second Hand... matilda blue Transportation/driving 2 07.08.2008 20:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0