Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.11.2015, 10:47
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,057
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,173 Times in 5,753 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage air lines?

Is there an App, or a TomTom POI file or a webpage that lists all the garages in Switzerland that have a working air line?

All the garages around where we live (Silver coast) seem to have:
  • No air line
  • A broken air line
  • One of those ridiculous bottles that you re-charge and carry to each wheel in turn (several times)

All I want is a standard air line connected to a mains compressor where I can top up the tyres after filling the car up with petrol.

Alternatively, has any one got one of those Lidl compressors and are they any good?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.11.2015, 10:50
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,808
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,433 Times in 6,662 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garage air lines?

Avia/TCS in Volketswil

(Doesn't help much does it!!!)

If the compressor has to be plugged into the car it is rubbish - mains/fuel will be OK.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03.11.2015, 10:53
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,057
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,173 Times in 5,753 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garage air lines?

Quote:
View Post
Avia/TCS in Volketswil

(Doesn't help much does it!!!)
Nope!

Quote:
View Post

If the compressor has to be plugged into the car it is rubbish - mains/fuel will be OK.
That's what I currently do - or use the foot pump.

This is the Lidl one:

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.11.2015, 10:59
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,808
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,433 Times in 6,662 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garage air lines?

M A N - T O Y ! ! !



Will pop in one evening!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 03.11.2015, 11:01
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,857
Groaned at 167 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,899 Times in 3,983 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
Alternatively, has any one got one of those Lidl compressors and are they any good?
I know of people who've bought compressors from Lidl/Aldi and as far as I know they're more than adequate for simply keeping your tyres topped up. The cheaper types like this

have no reservoir, so very much like the ones that are supplied as part of a puncture-repair-instead-of-a-apare-wheel pack in many cars now, are OK, although a bit slow. They need to be attched and left to run for a minute or three, so not very convenient.

But ones with a small reservoir, like this

will allow you to build up pressure first and then inflate much faster. That size would be perfectly adequate for reinflating four tyres, with much more capacity than the little bottle ones you complain about.

I have a much larger one with a 100l tank, which is better if you're using air tools, and has more than paid for itself over the years for the twice-yearly wheel changeover I do myself - with practice, a good rattle gun and a suitably-large-diameter air hose I can do the two cars completely in under an hour.

Oh, one last note - as with garage air lines, the pressure guages are not always the best, so it's a good idea to have an old-fashioned pencil gauge on hand to confirm their readings.
__________________
Introduce yourself!

Last edited by Ace1; 03.11.2015 at 11:06. Reason: dup
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 03.11.2015, 11:15
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,057
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,173 Times in 5,753 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garage air lines?

Quote:
View Post
M A N - T O Y ! ! !



Will pop in one evening!
They may not have them at your local one at the moment. They seem to come and go.

They sell a few air-operated tools too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.11.2015, 11:40
Don Molina's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 608
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 877 Times in 370 Posts
Don Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond reputeDon Molina has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garage air lines?

Jumbo stocks some Michelin branded air compressors and assortiments of air-tools I think, I don't remember prices. And now that I check on their website they have a "go-on" compressor at 70fr.

I really need a house and a garage...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.11.2015, 11:43
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,808
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,433 Times in 6,662 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garage air lines?

Quote:
View Post
I check on their website they have a "go-on" compressor at 70fr.

I really need a house and a garage...
The quality of that brand tends to be rather shoddy in my experience - mainly paint stuff - brushes etc
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.11.2015, 11:45
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garage air lines?

Quote:
View Post
I know of people who've bought compressors from Lidl/Aldi and as far as I know they're more than adequate for simply keeping your tyres topped up. The cheaper types like this

have no reservoir, so very much like the ones that are supplied as part of a puncture-repair-instead-of-a-apare-wheel pack in many cars now, are OK, although a bit slow. They need to be attched and left to run for a minute or three, so not very convenient.

But ones with a small reservoir, like this

will allow you to build up pressure first and then inflate much faster. That size would be perfectly adequate for reinflating four tyres, with much more capacity than the little bottle ones you complain about.

I have a much larger one with a 100l tank, which is better if you're using air tools, and has more than paid for itself over the years for the twice-yearly wheel changeover I do myself - with practice, a good rattle gun and a suitably-large-diameter air hose I can do the two cars completely in under an hour.

Oh, one last note - as with garage air lines, the pressure guages are not always the best, so it's a good idea to have an old-fashioned pencil gauge on hand to confirm their readings.
I have one of these little 12v ones from Halfords (UK). Works fine for a top up; it even has an auto-cutoff, although the pressure guage is shite - I fill up to a couple of extra PSI and then let air out until it's right according to an accurate digital guage.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss International Air Lines Voucher (CHF 100.-) Kreeeee Items for sale 8 16.10.2015 17:30
Swiss Air Lines worldwide special offer simple_person Travel/day trips/free time 0 10.04.2015 14:14
ELC Whizz Around garage and emergency vehicle garage thedolgys Items for sale 0 17.03.2013 13:07
Swiss International Air Lines: application feedback wait as02 Employment 2 15.02.2011 11:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0