Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.12.2015, 13:24
mek mek is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 51
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 6 Posts
mek has earned some respectmek has earned some respect
Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Hi,

I am coming up to 1 year in Switzerland so need to get my Swiss License sorted ASAP.

I would like to understand more about what the Swiss DL eyesight requirements are and determine if you think I should get my eyes retested because I went for an eye test on Friday.

I passed but was told my eyesight was not good enough to retain Category D1E - this seems to be towing a trailer behind a minibus, something I have never done and probably never will. But I feel like I should defend this right...

My eyes are an odd case - poor detail vision in left eye, perfect right eye/-1/-0.5 depending where I go. I have previously received a +1 left eye, -0.5 right eye prescription but have never needed glasses for driving.

I went for my eye test at 5pm on Friday, and I was tired. The eye test then seemed to be performed in the dark. Very poor light in any case. This was in the back of the glasses shop on ground floor in Sihl City. I then struggled initially because I didn't reaslise I was looking for numbers..... I was looking for letters! Could the loss of category D1E be down to non-performance of my left eye therefore unavoidable?

So my options are:

1. Do nothing and send off form to wherever it goes
2. Get my eyes retested at the same place after a good sleep
3. Get my eyes retested at the same place after a good sleep and wear the contact lenses I have somewhere to tweak my eyes as much as possible.
4. Go somewhere else and try to get my eyes tested in daylight, and look out for numbers instead of letters!

What do you think?

Thanks,

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.12.2015, 14:02
Hausamsee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 305
Groaned at 70 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 170 Posts
Hausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of many
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I am coming up to 1 year in Switzerland so need to get my Swiss License sorted ASAP.

I would like to understand more about what the Swiss DL eyesight requirements are and determine if you think I should get my eyes retested because I went for an eye test on Friday.

I passed but was told my eyesight was not good enough to retain Category D1E - this seems to be towing a trailer behind a minibus, something I have never done and probably never will. But I feel like I should defend this right...

My eyes are an odd case - poor detail vision in left eye, perfect right eye/-1/-0.5 depending where I go. I have previously received a +1 left eye, -0.5 right eye prescription but have never needed glasses for driving.

I went for my eye test at 5pm on Friday, and I was tired. The eye test then seemed to be performed in the dark. Very poor light in any case. This was in the back of the glasses shop on ground floor in Sihl City. I then struggled initially because I didn't reaslise I was looking for numbers..... I was looking for letters! Could the loss of category D1E be down to non-performance of my left eye therefore unavoidable?

So my options are:

1. Do nothing and send off form to wherever it goes
2. Get my eyes retested at the same place after a good sleep
3. Get my eyes retested at the same place after a good sleep and wear the contact lenses I have somewhere to tweak my eyes as much as possible.
4. Go somewhere else and try to get my eyes tested in daylight, and look out for numbers instead of letters!

What do you think?

Thanks,

Andy
If in doubt just get another test (4). Otherwise, let all those dreams you had of driving a mini-bus with a trailer go...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Hausamsee for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.12.2015, 14:02
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 1,452
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,764 Times in 869 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

If, for driving, you require some sort of correction for your eyesight, then face facts and organise that first, then get the required confirmation for the driving licence application form.
Incidentally, your new driving license will then be marked with a code stating that you require eye correction for driving and you will be obliged to carry a spare pair of glasses etc. when driving: http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/switzerland
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 15.12.2015, 16:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 554 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

I vote for no. 4.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.12.2015, 18:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
discodan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

I'd opt for #4 personally
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.12.2015, 18:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Basel, CH
Posts: 89
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 178 Times in 71 Posts
tormund has earned the respect of manytormund has earned the respect of manytormund has earned the respect of many
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

The eye test is like an IQ test, once you know what the scam is (moving dots, etc.) you'll perform better the next time.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank tormund for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.12.2015, 21:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,044
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,951 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Why would you even care about D1E if you never used it and have no intention ever to?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Urs Max for this post:
  #8  
Old 15.12.2015, 23:00
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 1,452
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,764 Times in 869 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Here are all the driving licence categories together with the vision requirements for each category (listed under medical requirements):
(D/F/I: ) http://www.fuehrerausweise.ch/asa-se...head=1&canton=

Most categories have their own special requirements regarding vision. Category D (bus > 16 seats) has the highest requirements, eliminating even people who have good vision with correction, if the correction required exceeds a certain level.

If your current driving licence is for a car, it would only act anyway as a provisional licence for lorries (>3.5 tons) and large passenger vehicles (>8 seats) so unless you are taking up a career in the transport industry, it should not affect you.
__________________
If you have difficulties with a post which contains a link to a site in one of the Swiss languages, use Google Translate or your own favourite translating browser.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 15.12.2015, 23:22
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,764
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,085 Times in 6,285 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Quote:
View Post
Here are all the driving licence categories together with the vision requirements for each category (listed under medical requirements):
(D/F/I: ) http://www.fuehrerausweise.ch/asa-se...head=1&canton=

Most categories have their own special requirements regarding vision. Category D (bus > 16 seats) has the highest requirements, eliminating even people who have good vision with correction, if the correction required exceeds a certain level.

If your current driving licence is for a car, it would only act anyway as a provisional licence for lorries (>3.5 tons) and large passenger vehicles (>8 seats) so unless you are taking up a career in the transport industry, it should not affect you.
Well even for C1 D1 the requirement is 80% (20/25) vision in both eyes or 100% (20/20) in 1 eye & 60 % (20/39) in the other. That's WITH correction!

If you took a uk license long enough ago Lorraine's up to 7.5 tonnes were included.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.12.2015, 12:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 838
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 503 Times in 297 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Quote:
View Post
If, for driving, you require some sort of correction for your eyesight, then face facts and organise that first, then get the required confirmation for the driving licence application form.
Incidentally, your new driving license will then be marked with a code stating that you require eye correction for driving and you will be obliged to carry a spare pair of glasses etc. when driving: http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/switzerland
Where is the licence marked?

I can't help but read this thread as "I can't see properly to drive a minibus and trailer but I wan't to drive one without being able to see properly anyway".
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16.12.2015, 12:42
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 1,452
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,764 Times in 869 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Quote:
View Post
Where is the licence marked?

I can't help but read this thread as "I can't see properly to drive a minibus and trailer but I wan't to drive one without being able to see properly anyway".
The codes are listed here: http://www.lepermisdeconduire.ch/asa...head=1&canton=
01 or 01.0X are related to vision impairment.
I also don't believe that the safety of other road users is enhanced by people shopping around for professionals who are prepared to 'turn a blind eye' to vision defects.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.12.2015, 13:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 838
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 503 Times in 297 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Quote:
View Post
The codes are listed here: http://www.lepermisdeconduire.ch/asa...head=1&canton=
01 or 01.0X are related to vision impairment.
I also don't believe that the safety of other road users is enhanced by people shopping around for professionals who are prepared to 'turn a blind eye' to vision defects.
Thanks. I see the "01" on the back of my licence for corrected vision, and "70" for conversion from foreign licence.

I don't have D1E on mine and I remember at the time that I had to drop some categories to avoid having a medical. I do have D1 though, but it's restricted to 3.5t so maybe that's why I don't need a medical for that.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.12.2015, 13:32
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,060
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,132 Times in 3,239 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.12.2015, 13:35
mek mek is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 51
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 6 Posts
mek has earned some respectmek has earned some respect
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

me.anon,

This is precisely what I am looking for, thanks.

Urs Max - I took the time to write a post which I thought might lead to information which could benefit me and others. That is the clue , the breadcrumb if you will, that points to the fact that for whatever reason, I do care. For that reason, I was unlikely to find dismissal of my query helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16.12.2015, 15:11
noipv4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 177
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
noipv4 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

IMO results of an Eye test depends a lot on the equipment that the optician is using.
I got way different results with different opticians.
The 1st one had a mirror on the wall and a projector, which was quite crappy as the letters were pretty much out of focus and showed poor contrast. Later I went to a real eye doctor, and the results were as intended.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank noipv4 for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 16.12.2015, 15:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,521
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,544 Times in 4,681 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Quote:
View Post
The codes are listed here: http://www.lepermisdeconduire.ch/asa...head=1&canton=
01 or 01.0X are related to vision impairment.
I also don't believe that the safety of other road users is enhanced by people shopping around for professionals who are prepared to 'turn a blind eye' to vision defects.
I believe it is reasonable to seek a second opinion!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 16.12.2015, 16:07
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,308
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 10,914 Times in 4,090 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

Quote:
View Post
IMO results of an Eye test depends a lot on the equipment that the optician is using.
I got way different results with different opticians.
The 1st one had a mirror on the wall and a projector, which was quite crappy as the letters were pretty much out of focus and showed poor contrast. Later I went to a real eye doctor, and the results were as intended.
Of course, the catch is that on the road, the light and contrast are not always good either. Dark clothes on a pedestrian crossing? Things are not in focus when you turn your head (try the combination of increasing age plus varifocals and astigmatism). Why do so many drivers miss seeing motor bikes? Or small children?
I can get quite good results in an eye test when I can work partly by simple elimination - what might that letter/number be? But try me in rain in the dark and you'll be glad that I don't drive any more.
__________________
Longbyt
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16.12.2015, 16:46
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,764
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,085 Times in 6,285 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opinion sought: Swiss Driving License /Eye Test / D1E

The test performed in bright light is a joke as the iris is stopped down, eye tests should be done in very low light as the prescription would be more accurate. Try focusing a lens stopped down & there is more wiggle room
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Wanted] Driving instructor for License Conversion and driving test in Zurich jijo11 Transportation/driving 13 17.12.2014 17:41
Cost for eye examination (driving license exchange) jasieek Complaints corner 22 26.10.2014 22:33
Driving License Conversion and driving test Zurich natcam Transportation/driving 17 03.11.2012 01:09
Transfer Swiss Driving License to US Driving License robotdm Transportation/driving 5 25.07.2011 08:09
Changing Swiss driving license back to a UK driving license camilla Permits/visas/government 7 18.07.2011 23:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0