Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Transportation/driving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Versegeres
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
djlim has no particular reputation at present
Winter tyres for my car

I am wondering a couple of things.

First of all I am a student here in Switzerland, and I am using a rental car from Geneva airport from the french sector. The car is a Renault Talisman estate which comes with a 245 45z r18, which is an all season tyre.

Now I know that it is not a legal obligation to be equipped with Winter tyres unless I get into an accident.

But I live in the canton Valais and my school campus is either in Champery or Verbier. Both located in the mountains and the snow is starting to fall.

1. Where can I get second hand tyres?
2. Where can I buy cheap but good not slippery winter tyres?
3. Chains with the same questions as above.
4. Would it be worth it to use money on a rental car that I have to return every 6 months and receive a new one?

What are the solutions you would offer?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:25
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,058
Groaned at 88 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,585 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Ask the car rental company if they change this one for a car with winter tyres? Why buy tyres for a rental?




(Do we have a forum part on first world problems?)
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:26
Cata1yst's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zugish
Posts: 481
Groaned at 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 574 Times in 262 Posts
Cata1yst has a reputation beyond reputeCata1yst has a reputation beyond reputeCata1yst has a reputation beyond reputeCata1yst has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
I am wondering a couple of things.

First of all I am a student here in Switzerland, and I am using a rental car from Geneva airport from the french sector. The car is a Renault Talisman estate which comes with a 245 45z r18, which is an all season tyre.

Now I know that it is not a legal obligation to be equipped with Winter tyres unless I get into an accident.

But I live in the canton Valais and my school campus is either in Champery or Verbier. Both located in the mountains and the snow is starting to fall.

1. Where can I get second hand tyres?
2. Where can I buy cheap but good not slippery winter tyres?
3. Chains with the same questions as above.
4. Would it be worth it to use money on a rental car that I have to return every 6 months and receive a new one?

What are the solutions you would offer?

Thanks.
Do you own the car or the rental company?

1. Don't do it, bad idea do not fit second hand tyres. From a safety point of view, tyres are critical. Plus you IF don't own the car, so why not just ask them for a car with winter tyres? I'm not sure you would be allowed to change "their tyres"

2. Pick any named brand a winter tyre is better than no winter tyre. I would say compulsory in your situation.

3. Ebay/Ricardo.ch Amazon, anywhere which is not Switzerland would be cheaper for chains. Be careful with some alloy rims, they can be damaged by poor/cheap chains. Tip - Learn how to fit them before use.

4. Not sure what you mean?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Cata1yst for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:29
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,510
Groaned at 304 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 8,092 Times in 2,891 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
I am wondering a couple of things.

First of all I am a student here in Switzerland, and I am using a rental car from Geneva airport from the french sector. The car is a Renault Talisman estate which comes with a 245 45z r18, which is an all season tyre.

Now I know that it is not a legal obligation to be equipped with Winter tyres unless I get into an accident.

But I live in the canton Valais and my school campus is either in Champery or Verbier. Both located in the mountains and the snow is starting to fall.

1. Where can I get second hand tyres?
2. Where can I buy cheap but good not slippery winter tyres?
3. Chains with the same questions as above.
4. Would it be worth it to use money on a rental car that I have to return every 6 months and receive a new one?

What are the solutions you would offer?

Thanks.
Hope you're not studying Economics or Business Studies...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Versegeres
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
djlim has no particular reputation at present
Re: Winter tyres for my car

The thing is, the rental car company offers a maximum of 170 days. And they have told me that in order for me to change tyres to winter ones, I have to go to a garage by myself and its my own expenditure and that they don't give the cars in winter tyres.

So which means I have to change them myself, but when I return it I have to return them in original tyres.

So what happens if I just drive with the all season tyres in Valais just on the road. Would it be a problem?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:37
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,062
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,241 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
Hope you're not studying Economics or Business Studies...
Or law ...

Quote:
View Post
First of all I am a student here in Switzerland, and I am using a rental car from Geneva airport from the french sector.

But I live in the canton Valais and my school campus is either in Champery or Verbier. Both located in the mountains and the snow is starting to fall.
Sounds like a smuggled car.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:38
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,062
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,241 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
So what happens if I just drive with the all season tyres in Valais just on the road. Would it be a problem?
If they are a good brand/model, replacing them with a cheap Chinese winter tyres will not help a lot.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Versegeres
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
djlim has no particular reputation at present
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
If they are a good brand/model, replacing them with a cheap Chinese winter tyres will not help a lot.
They are as I remember continental or goodyear 4 season tyres with a mountain with a snowflake as a pic.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:40
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 6,153
Groaned at 309 Times in 249 Posts
Thanked 9,534 Times in 3,872 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
The thing is, the rental car company offers a maximum of 170 days. And they have told me that in order for me to change tyres to winter ones, I have to go to a garage by myself and its my own expenditure and that they don't give the cars in winter tyres.

So which means I have to change them myself, but when I return it I have to return them in original tyres.

So what happens if I just drive with the all season tyres in Valais just on the road. Would it be a problem?

???? wtf you on about?? if you're that worried about it just give them the car back.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:46
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,062
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,241 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
They are as I remember continental or goodyear 4 season tyres with a mountain with a snowflake as a pic.
The one now on the car have a mountain and snowflake? Those are winter tyres! Or as the ETRTO says it is the sidewall symbol of tyres for use in severe snow conditions.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:48
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,781
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
They are as I remember continental or goodyear 4 season tyres with a mountain with a snowflake as a pic.
The Goodyear Vector 4 are M&S tires, they will be fine. Just check there is an M&S on the tire.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11.11.2016, 14:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Versegeres
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
djlim has no particular reputation at present
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
The Goodyear Vector 4 are M&S tires, they will be fine. Just check there is an M&S on the tire.
Okay will do. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13.11.2016, 13:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SZ
Posts: 85
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 20 Posts
etsius has made some interesting contributions
Re: Winter tyres for my car

Quote:
View Post
1. Where can I get second hand tyres?
2. Where can I buy cheap but good not slippery winter tyres?
3. Chains with the same questions as above.
4. Would it be worth it to use money on a rental car that I have to return every 6 months and receive a new one?
2. I ordered them from www.reifendirekt.ch. A lot of tyres available, with rating and a good price because they come for Germany. And you have the option to have the tyres delivered to the garage of your choice. So they have a map with all the garages near your area and, more important, you can see how much they'll charge for replacing the tyres (40CHF in my case).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13.11.2016, 15:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,654
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,220 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tyres for my car

if I would be living in Switzerland while driving a car with french registration, I would be more worried if you did all needed for customs.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ordering Car Rims with winter tyres Spongeali Transportation/driving 1 11.02.2015 16:29
Winter tyres or winter tyres and wheels mountainsandlakes Transportation/driving 23 22.10.2012 12:31
Buy-back or rent winter tyres for rental car? kadie Transportation/driving 0 21.11.2008 18:05
No winter tyres in my car's size made MoabMan Transportation/driving 28 27.10.2008 10:07
Winter tyres on a UK purchased car clive7 Transportation/driving 17 19.10.2007 16:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0