Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.03.2012, 16:13
Ope Ope is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ope has no particular reputation at present
Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Basically guys I'm looking for the cheapest Android phone I can find in zurich for my UK SIM. Any ideas were I can buy one? CHF50 sounds doable from what I've heard, I don't care on make, etc just needs to be Android.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.03.2012, 16:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 36
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
clever has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

The problem is: most of them have sim-lock.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.03.2012, 16:23
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,888
Groaned at 196 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,792 Times in 4,251 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
Basically guys I'm looking for the cheapest Android phone I can find in zurich for my UK SIM. Any ideas were I can buy one? CHF50 sounds doable from what I've heard, I don't care on make, etc just needs to be Android.

Thanks in advance.
you can get one for 50chfs. but it might be pink in colour...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.03.2012, 08:14
Ope Ope is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ope has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
you can get one for 50chfs. but it might be pink in colour...
SiM lock I can deal with as it is Android after all. There must be an unlocking app somewhere

Not too sure about pink though. The hand set wouldn't be doing much but staying at home so I guess I can live with pink.

So where can I buy it for CHF50?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.03.2012, 15:50
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 652
Groaned at 16 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 417 Times in 190 Posts
ipoddle is considered knowledgeableipoddle is considered knowledgeableipoddle is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Why does it have to be Android ?

There are plenty of 'cheap as chips' pre-pay handsets around that you'll be able to crack and will do a lot of Android like stuff

For Android you really need a decent chip and screen and for that money your only chance is a second hand unit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.03.2012, 15:59
NokturnL's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cham
Posts: 208
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 49 Posts
NokturnL has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Orange Citidisk have a Samsung Galaxy Y (small white phone) for 80chf atm... Including sim incase your UK sim don't work...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.03.2012, 16:23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 402
Groaned at 6 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 106 Times in 78 Posts
Wakey is considered knowledgeableWakey is considered knowledgeableWakey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
Orange Citidisk have a Samsung Galaxy Y (small white phone) for 80chf atm... Including sim incase your UK sim don't work...
Sounds like a good deal for an Android phone! I am not aware of anything cheaper atm.

New Simlock-free Androids start at around 130 CHF.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.03.2012, 23:03
Ope Ope is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ope has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
Why does it have to be Android ?

There are plenty of 'cheap as chips' pre-pay handsets around that you'll be able to crack and will do a lot of Android like stuff

For Android you really need a decent chip and screen and for that money your only chance is a second hand unit.
It's basically so I can have backups of my calls and text and not have to keep checking the phone.

Quote:
View Post
Orange Citidisk have a Samsung Galaxy Y (small white phone) for 80chf atm... Including sim incase your UK sim don't work...
Where is Orange Citidisk located?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.03.2012, 23:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 36
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
clever has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Look at this from Sunrise for 79 Fr.
http://www1.sunrise.ch/Handys-mit-Pr...de_CH-CHF.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.12.2012, 22:27
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Zurich, Adliswil.
Posts: 533
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 223 Times in 136 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

A couple of years ago I bought a ZTE blade for 100chf. It has been a great phone, and now is on its second battery (thanks ebay). It has been so good we want something similar with GPS that we can unlock, and the Samsung Y suggested above seems OK.

These Samsungs are going for around 89chf at the moment (Post shop). Is there anything else, or these cheaper? Do these unlock easily?

Android wise, we are also looking for a tablet. Have seen these "Lenco Cool Tabs" for 129 at Digitec. Are there any cool Android tablet deals out there in Zurich or the UK?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15.12.2012, 22:47
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 547
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 205 Times in 140 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
SiM lock I can deal with as it is Android after all. There must be an unlocking app somewhere

Not too sure about pink though. The hand set wouldn't be doing much but staying at home so I guess I can live with pink.

So where can I buy it for CHF50?
There's no app and get ready to either pay to get it unlocked (if possible) or go through huge posts and how-to guides.
Be sure you have the time and the technical background for this before doing it.

And by the way, a very cheap phone will probably mean there's no specific guide anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.12.2012, 15:27
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Zurich, Adliswil.
Posts: 533
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 223 Times in 136 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Thanks for the advice. Just looked and it looks like there is an app developed by some 14 yr old for the 79chf Galaxy Y:

http://www.freshnewsarea.com/news/un...sung-galaxy-y/

The 100chf ZTE blade I bought 2 years ago, has a higher spec camera than the Samsung Y, and looks a bit smarter. This Samsung looks like a cheap knock off of the iPhone 3. I was hoping for something a bit better after a couple of years of innovation, but we may have gone backwards.

Quote:
View Post
There's no app and get ready to either pay to get it unlocked (if possible) or go through huge posts and how-to guides.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.12.2012, 21:20
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 547
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 205 Times in 140 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
The 100chf ZTE blade I bought 2 years ago, has a higher spec camera than the Samsung Y, and looks a bit smarter. This Samsung looks like a cheap knock off of the iPhone 3. I was hoping for something a bit better after a couple of years of innovation, but we may have gone backwards.
The fact that you want to find it in Switzerland is to blame actually.
Look for the Blade III or the Huawei Ascend G300. Maybe they don't make it to this country any more but they exist.

And I suppose you are exaggerating a bit about the Blade's price. It used to cost closer to 200 than to 100 francs.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.12.2012, 21:49
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Zurich, Adliswil.
Posts: 533
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 223 Times in 136 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Here is the origina EF blade thread. Lots of us bought them for 100chf. The SIM was extra, but came with a credit:

Android 2.1 phone for CHF 100.- on PAYG

Both those phones you mention are the spec what I was hoping to get for 100 chufs today. 8-(

Quote:
View Post
The fact that you want to find it in Switzerland is to blame actually.
Look for the Blade III or the Huawei Ascend G300. Maybe they don't make it to this country any more but they exist.

And I suppose you are exaggerating a bit about the Blade's price. It used to cost closer to 200 than to 100 francs.
No, I am just after a surprise stocking filler for the kids. Was hoping to get a half decent 7" Android tablet for 100chf too. Something I could plug a USB modem stick into via an adapter... They seem to be $80 in the States from what I hear.
Quote:
View Post
Dou you mean operating two phones with the same number ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16.12.2012, 21:49
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
fl0wer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

p42 is right about the ZTE Blade's price Android 2.1 phone for CHF 100.- on PAYG

Orange used to sell a sim-locked ZTE Stockholm for CHF 39 (Orange selling PAYG Android 2.2 phone for 39,-) The offer is not available anymore though.

Like mentioned before, the cheapest option seems to be around 80 bucks atm for a sim-locked phone.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fl0wer for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 17.12.2012, 07:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
fl0wer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
No, I am just after a surprise stocking filler for the kids. Was hoping to get a half decent 7" Android tablet for 100chf too. Something I could plug a USB modem stick into via an adapter... They seem to be $80 in the States from what I hear.
Sorry about double post, but I just saw that Steg has the new Archos 7" for CHF 99 http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/ar...5-2012-KW51/de

I don't know about MSRP, but it seems like a good offer nonetheless! There also seems to be the option to connect a SURF stick
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fl0wer for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 17.12.2012, 09:27
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,636
Groaned at 129 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
Sorry about double post, but I just saw that Steg has the new Archos 7" for CHF 99 http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/ar...5-2012-KW51/de

I don't know about MSRP, but it seems like a good offer nonetheless! There also seems to be the option to connect a SURF stick
Sounds like a good offer! It has tiny internal memory though, does anyone know how it works with watching movies from an external usb drive?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 17.12.2012, 23:57
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Zurich, Adliswil.
Posts: 533
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 223 Times in 136 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like a good offer! It has tiny internal memory though, does anyone know how it works with watching movies from an external usb drive?
Very interesting. There are a few demos on youtube. Video playback looks nice and smooth. It has 1GB ram, 4GB flash, and can take a 32GB MicroSD card. In the UK there are some 8GB models about. Steg are now quoting 2 weeks delivery.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18.12.2012, 07:48
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 547
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 205 Times in 140 Posts
lewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeablelewton is considered knowledgeable
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Quote:
View Post
Here is the origina EF blade thread. Lots of us bought them for 100chf. The SIM was extra, but came with a credit:

Android 2.1 phone for CHF 100.- on PAYG

Both those phones you mention are the spec what I was hoping to get for 100 chufs today. 8-(
Quote:
View Post
p42 is right about the ZTE Blade's price Android 2.1 phone for CHF 100.- on PAYG

Orange used to sell a sim-locked ZTE Stockholm for CHF 39 (Orange selling PAYG Android 2.2 phone for 39,-) The offer is not available anymore though.
Oh, Orange was heavily subsidizing the original Blade!
My bad, I didn't know that.
Outside Switzerland the standard price was 150-180 euros.

In this case I wouldn't really blame the industry but rather Orange who is now subsidizing less.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18.12.2012, 08:02
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Zurich, Adliswil.
Posts: 533
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 223 Times in 136 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Cheapest Android Phone in Zürich

Right. So we a looking of the next Android promotion! Tablet or handy.

You do see brilliant offers in Switzerland occasionally. I bought a couple of Samsung handsets on Libara, from a booth outside Interdiscount Zurich HB, non-Android, really basic, thin and light, 30 days standby, 10 chf each. Great for the car, or when you Smart phone is flat. They won't unlock (yet) though.

Quote:
View Post
Oh, Orange was heavily subsidizing the original.
...
In this case I wouldn't really blame the industry but rather Orange who is now subsidizing less.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WANTED [ZRH]: Android mobile phone + Android Tablet Richdog Items wanted 11 15.12.2011 13:31
30 CHF android phone Phil_MCR TV/internet/telephone 9 09.04.2011 23:37
G1 Smart Phone / Android Thread Talkietoaster TV/internet/telephone 25 08.12.2009 10:52
Protector for Android HTC G1 phone espinchi TV/internet/telephone 2 21.01.2009 20:36


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0