VPN Router Selective Routing Setup My Solution
I posted a while back, because I wanted to set up and home network with UK VPN available selectively across the home network. I thought I would share my solution since it required a lot of interweb trawling and fiddling around. UPC Cablecom is the provider.
1. Update UPC Modem to Technicolor model, as this is the only one to support bridge mode
2. ASUS DD-WRT capable modem, in my case AC68U, install ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware
3. Set up the router VPN client with the OpenVPN configuration from your VPN provider, Im using ExpressVPN
3. Decide what devices you want to have permanently on the VPN, assign static IPs to those devices, for example Roku media server running iPlayer
4. Set the Redirect Internet Traffic to Policy Rules and add those IPs as Source IPs designated to go via the VPN
5. Set up VPN Client software on devices such as PC's and iPads that you want to be able to use VPN selectively with.
Im sure there are slicker setups involving more tinkering for those who are really happy with advanced network routing settings and DDWRT scripting, but this provides a stable setup using just the GUI's, a very simple firmware update, and setting up a few devices with static IPs.
I switched from StrongVPN to ExpressVPN, because the PC and iOS clients are much slicker, allowing for quick changes eg between UK and US servers.
Hope this helps.