Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.03.2009, 07:00
Bobby.Buchi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Menzingen
Posts: 414
Groaned at 22 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Bobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeable
Changing TV programme language to English

We've just moved into an apartment where we have cable TV. Previously we had satellite, and it was very easy to programme the receiver once, and thereafter all movies soundtracks were in English if available. How do I programme our TV to do the same via cable? I've tried in the setup menu but only got the display language to change. Dr House talking german really just isnt the same, please help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.03.2009, 07:14
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 9,420
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Quote:
View Post
We've just moved into an apartment where we have cable TV. Previously we had satellite, and it was very easy to programme the receiver once, and thereafter all movies soundtracks were in English if available. How do I programme our TV to do the same via cable? I've tried in the setup menu but only got the display language to change. Dr House talking german really just isnt the same, please help.
Only a few standard channels have a dual language option. You can usually access it using the stereo/mono button (on some TVs that is - could be labelled as DUAL / MTS / I-II). This thread lists all English channels, including recent additions. Here is a full list of channels for Cablecom Digital TV ( German speaking region ).

I am not sure sure about other Cable providers though.

Last edited by jrspet; 24.03.2009 at 07:44.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.03.2009, 07:18
Bobby.Buchi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Menzingen
Posts: 414
Groaned at 22 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Bobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Thanks, I will check my TV and remote tonight, although it is a bit old, hopefully it will be possible.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.03.2009, 11:06
digg's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 511
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Yes, your TV definitely needs to be stereo. If it's only got one speaker then probably not. Failing that, if you've got Cablecom, you can go for the CHF 6 per month subscription and get the digital receiver that connects to your tele via SCART or whatever. From the receiver like satellite, you can change to English some channels plus receive a load of channels from the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.03.2009, 11:35
Bobby.Buchi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Menzingen
Posts: 414
Groaned at 22 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Bobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Thanks. Please treat me as a cable dinosaur, since I am totally ignorant of how it works. I checked on the internet & our service provider seems to be connected with swisscable, through a company called wwz ag. This is probably NOT cablecom, but sounds like something connected to swisscom? Do you think I need to phone them to register and/or get help with the language settings? Does not having stereo mean we cannot get english soundtracks or just that we will need to spend some money to get it? I am terribly confused & feel quite ignorant.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.03.2009, 11:47
vwild1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Quote:
View Post
I checked on the internet & our service provider seems to be connected with swisscable, through a company called wwz ag. This is probably NOT cablecom, but sounds like something connected to swisscom?
WWZ is Wasserwerke Zug (I have the same), if you have a box connected to between your cable and tv then you can set the box to automatically use your preference language. If not then your television might have memory where it remembers your previous sound track choice for that channel and automatically uses it. The tv might also have somewhere in the menu the option to only use only one specific track or stereo. Your tv probably does have stereo, you'd be hard pressed to find one anymore that doesn't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.03.2009, 12:18
digg's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 511
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

I've just been to Wasserwerke's website. It's like going back to the 90s in terms of Internet sites. I like it. I was expecting to see those "Site under construction notices" like you used to get!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.03.2009, 13:20
Bobby.Buchi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Menzingen
Posts: 414
Groaned at 22 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Bobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeableBobby.Buchi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Thanks for all the help. My genius son managed to change it on the TV, but it doesn't store the setting in the memory so we have to set it each time we change programmes. We will just have to strain ourselves and do that extra click every time! It was great hearing Dr House speak English again last night!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.04.2010, 13:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rkarita has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for all the help. My genius son managed to change it on the TV, but it doesn't store the setting in the memory so we have to set it each time we change programmes. We will just have to strain ourselves and do that extra click every time! It was great hearing Dr House speak English again last night!
Hi, I have just moved to Geneva and have been experiencing problems watching TV as most channels are in foreign languages. I line in an apartment and don't have any dish. I am merely connected to the arial socket in the wall so I only get channels like TF1, TSR, Eurosport, TVe, RTL. Really not a lot of choice.

Can you please tell me how you managed to get English audio. I tried everything I could possibly think of last night but to no avail. I wanted to watch Dr House last night but it was in French.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21.04.2010, 13:23
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,618
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 941 Times in 586 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I have just moved to Geneva and have been experiencing problems watching TV as most channels are in foreign languages. I line in an apartment and don't have any dish. I am merely connected to the arial socket in the wall so I only get channels like TF1, TSR, Eurosport, TVe, RTL. Really not a lot of choice.

Can you please tell me how you managed to get English audio. I tried everything I could possibly think of last night but to no avail. I wanted to watch Dr House last night but it was in French.

Thanks
Check your remote for a audio button, might look like a roman 2 (II) or

might also only be labelled audio. With this you should be able to get the original version audio for some programs. Check the TV guide and look for the above placed icon.. not all english shows/series are shown in original language though...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.04.2010, 13:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,003
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 429 Times in 283 Posts
axman has an excellent reputationaxman has an excellent reputationaxman has an excellent reputationaxman has an excellent reputation
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I have just moved to Geneva and have been experiencing problems watching TV as most channels are in foreign languages. I line in an apartment and don't have any dish. I am merely connected to the arial socket in the wall so I only get channels like TF1, TSR, Eurosport, TVe, RTL. Really not a lot of choice.

Can you please tell me how you managed to get English audio. I tried everything I could possibly think of last night but to no avail. I wanted to watch Dr House last night but it was in French.

Thanks
If you have ability to get the original audio as mentioned by Herc, you can watch Dr. House on Friday as well on TSR1. Otherwise, Monday on SF2.

Check listings on TSI, TSR and SF2 for US series such as Lost, House, CSI everywhere, One Tree Hill, Grays Anatomy, Private Practice, Desparate Housewives, Gossip Girl, Californication, Damages, FlashForward, Mentalist, Heroes, 24, Nip/Tuck etc. All of these and more are broadcasted in dubbed and original language on at least one of these channels.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.04.2010, 14:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rkarita has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Thank you very much for your replies. I did find the button you are referring to. Mine has a I-II icon. But when I press that it just switches between mono and stereo. So does this mean that spefic programme playing at that time is not broadcast in the original English language? If so, will this mono/stereo signal change when the next programme is available in multiple languages?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21.04.2010, 14:16
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,618
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 941 Times in 586 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Quote:
View Post
Thank you very much for your replies. I did find the button you are referring to. Mine has a I-II icon. But when I press that it just switches between mono and stereo. So does this mean that spefic programme playing at that time is not broadcast in the original English language? If so, will this mono/stereo signal change when the next programme is available in multiple languages?
Exactly, if there is only one language, you can switch mono and stereo. On my tv it shows if/once the dual broadcast starts, but only briefly. But at least you know what to do now.

If you go right away to SF2, you should be able to catch some Scrubs - dual language.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.04.2010, 14:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rkarita has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Thank you so much. This has been helpful. Much appreciated. I guess I will have to print the tv guide at work to check times for the dual language programme.

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21.04.2010, 14:33
inWinti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 240
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 95 Times in 62 Posts
inWinti has earned some respectinWinti has earned some respect
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Our TV stores the language settings so you get English as a default.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.04.2010, 14:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rkarita has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

I will have to check if my tv can do that as well, but it's quiet old. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21.04.2010, 15:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rkarita has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

By the way, where can I download a TV guide for a whole month for the standard arial channels?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21.04.2010, 15:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,003
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 429 Times in 283 Posts
axman has an excellent reputationaxman has an excellent reputationaxman has an excellent reputationaxman has an excellent reputation
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

I am not sure where else this is available, but you can try the following site (in german unfortunately). Click on "zweikanalton" on the left side, which will automate a search for all dual language programmes. From there, you can choose the time and date.

http://www.tvprogramm.sf.tv/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22.04.2010, 08:52
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rkarita has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Quote:
View Post
Check your remote for a audio button, might look like a roman 2 (II) or

might also only be labelled audio. With this you should be able to get the original version audio for some programs. Check the TV guide and look for the above placed icon.. not all english shows/series are shown in original language though...
Good morning. I am still experiencing problems with this dual language system. Last night I stayed up to catch a programme (criminal minds) that was supposedly (according to the tv guide) broadcast in dual language. I did not even change channels just in case. As soon as the show started I waited for any signal that it was dual language, but nothing was displayed on the screen. So I did as you advised and pressed the I-II button on my remote, but it just kept displaying the mono/stereo signat but not changing the language of the programme.

Do you have any further advise I can try? Or am I doomed unless I buy a box?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22.04.2010, 08:57
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,618
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 941 Times in 586 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing TV programme language to English

Quote:
View Post
Do you have any further advise I can try? Or am I doomed unless I buy a box?
Well, there is the odd time that the station "forgets" to change to dual language. I have had that before and it's a royal pain in the backside if I was looking forward to the show. If it was clearly marked as dual language, somebody forgot to press the switch... nothing you can do about it (unless you want to write letters to SF DRS et al...)

Has it worked in the meantime, apart from the series you wanted to watch?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank herc82 for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cable, change tv language, language, tv language




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBA programme advice (Basel area) fran001 Other/general 26 14.03.2011 20:36
TV programme potom TV/internet/telephone 3 19.01.2009 08:07
Language course question (English in English speaking country) 5AVeci Other/general 0 25.08.2008 08:22
Masters in English language krati Language corner 2 31.08.2007 13:41
Looking for IT Programme (Portfolio) Management jobs JPH Employment 4 01.02.2007 18:14


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0