Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > TV/internet/telephone
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #841  
Old 03.12.2011, 15:40
tomberli's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Richterswil, ZH
Posts: 227
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 121 Posts
tomberli has earned the respect of manytomberli has earned the respect of manytomberli has earned the respect of many
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say you would save other members' time too, as I'm sure most of them take a malevolent delight in informing others of the Billag rulings.
Nicely said
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tomberli for this useful post:
  #842  
Old 03.12.2011, 16:19
vwild1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
While it has not been officially communicated from Billag or in fact been completely resolved, Parliament duscussed in the last few months how to improve Billag and the resultution they came up seems to be to scrap the whole "collecting-system"
Don't hold your breath, I started the following thread in Feb. 2009

Bye Bye Billag
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #843  
Old 05.12.2011, 23:16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 257
Groaned at 23 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
humano is considered unworthyhumano is considered unworthyhumano is considered unworthyhumano is considered unworthy
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
Don't hold your breath, I started the following thread in Feb. 2009

Bye Bye Billag
Quote:
View Post
While it has not been officially communicated from Billag or in fact been completely resolved, Parliament duscussed in the last few months how to improve Billag and the resultution they came up seems to be to scrap the whole "collecting-system", where scary KGB-People sit in your garden hedge to find out if you watch television late at night and just make it compulsory for everyone to pay a flat fee, if they have television or not. This way they could save millions on training cost for their army of spies which have to go through a 24month course in close-combat, infiltration techniques and air-raids in a three part course set in Sibiria, Papaua New-Guinea and Southern Algeria. Furthermore there would also be more peple paying as you couldnt pretend that you didnt have television or radio or power and a sewage system and in fact communicated to the rest of the world by scraping symbols with a stone pen into wax-tables.

To sum it up, with the change in system they estimate that everyone would have to pay about 100.- less a year for the same non-existant service which is at least some good news.
I thought, the were definitely going to simplify this... 100 CHF cheaper would be a great deal. Why don't they do it? People would vote yes...
Reply With Quote
  #844  
Old 05.12.2011, 23:17
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
The above is said a lot on here, but has anyone with no TV or radio actually been fined and had to pay the billag thing?
Personally, I think it all works on the inertia of the aura of the Borg...er...Billag. Nobody ever questions it, nobody ever does contrary... Where's the Swiss version of Picard when you need him!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jobsrobertsharpii for this useful post:
  #845  
Old 06.12.2011, 21:51
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 1,515
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 649 Times in 374 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
I thought, the were definitely going to simplify this... 100 CHF cheaper would be a great deal. Why don't they do it? People would vote yes...
I would vote no, because I don't have a television! If it were 100 CHF cheaper per year, I'd pay almost nothing - the radio licence is, iirc, about 26 francs a quarter ...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank araqyl for this useful post:
  #846  
Old 06.12.2011, 22:10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 257
Groaned at 23 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
humano is considered unworthyhumano is considered unworthyhumano is considered unworthyhumano is considered unworthy
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
I would vote no, because I don't have a television! If it were 100 CHF cheaper per year, I'd pay almost nothing - the radio licence is, iirc, about 26 francs a quarter ...
Are you swiss? I cannot vote...

I don't have a TV either, but I have a smartphone or laptop... Everybody has the possibility to see TV... It's a nonsense to control something that everybody has... And it would be cheaper if they don't keep so many controleur...
Reply With Quote
  #847  
Old 06.12.2011, 22:17
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
I would vote no, because I don't have a television! If it were 100 CHF cheaper per year, I'd pay almost nothing - the radio licence is, iirc, about 26 francs a quarter ...
If I understand it correctly, you would probably pay more, as the vote is to charge everyone a uniform tax instead of taxing households based upon their individual usage. So 'radio-only' and 'non' users would have to pay in more to offset the 'less' that 'radio and television' users would pay.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jobsrobertsharpii for this useful post:
  #848  
Old 06.12.2011, 22:35
piazza's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Küsnacht ZH
Posts: 452
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 128 Posts
piazza has made some interesting contributions
Re: Billag

this also sucks for people who actually do have a TV, but use it only to watch dvds and playstation etc and not the broadcast channels...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank piazza for this useful post:
  #849  
Old 06.12.2011, 22:42
Swissmountainair's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: A moving target...
Posts: 879
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 448 Posts
Swissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond reputeSwissmountainair has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

The whole system is a load of bollocks. I have several radio receiving devices, a TV, an internet connection and have been paying my billag like a good citizen since I moved here and yet I've spent less than 6 hours of cumulative time listening to or watching a Swiss channel. So it has bugger all to do with 'usage.'

Along with punitive parking charges/ minor infringement fines/ itemised bloody usage bills for everything from a driving license to a johnny foreigner permit all helps keep the headline tax rate low only for the venus flytrap to ensnare the unsuspecting once they're committed to the place through multiple unescapable contracts for everything from compulsory health insurance to compulsory liability insurance to apartment leases. I've never known such a nation born to be actuaries and accountants and it bores me to tears.

Not very nice. I'd far rather the system just said give us 40% of your blood and we'll leave you alone. Before coming to Switzerland the only time I'd seen such mindnumbing attention to itemising every last facet of life was whilst watching a bunch of Austrian holidaymakers noisily and anally demanding a waiter split their 9 Euro drinks bill 6 ways in an otherwise idyllic Mediterranean beach bar. I need a break from the grey and miserable place.
__________________
Expat In Switzerland website and FREE monthly e-newsletter containing articles on life in Switzerland & what's on events guide
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Swissmountainair for this useful post:
  #850  
Old 06.12.2011, 22:42
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
this also sucks for people who actually do have a TV, but use it only to watch dvds and playstation etc and not the broadcast channels...
I agree... I, personally, am more a fan of the usage model- pay for what you use, and don't pay for what you don't. I don't think it's appropriate for households that don't watch/listen to be required to subsidize households that do, especially as some that don't might've made this choice from financial necessity.

However, I do think the current standards/definitions for/of television watcher/radio listener need to be examined, and more accurate ones put in place.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jobsrobertsharpii for this useful post:
  #851  
Old 06.12.2011, 22:43
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
The whole system is a load of bollocks. I have several radio receiving devices, a TV, an internet connection and have been paying my billag like a good citizen since I moved here and yet I've spent less than 6 hours of cumulative time listening to or watching a Swiss channel. So it has bugger all to do with 'usage.'

Along with punitive parking charges/ minor infringement fines/ itemised bloody usage bills for everything from a driving license to a johnny foreigner permit all helps keep the headline tax rate low only for the venus flytrap to ensnare the unsuspecting once they're committed to the place through multiple unescapable contracts for everything from compulsory health insurance to compulsory liability insurance to apartment leases. I've never known such a nation born to be actuaries and accountants and it bores me to tears.

Not very nice. I'd far rather the system they just said give us 40% of your blood and we'll leave you alone.
Occupy Billag HQ, anyone?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jobsrobertsharpii for this useful post:
  #852  
Old 06.12.2011, 23:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,926 Times in 5,233 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
The above is said a lot on here, but has anyone with no TV or radio actually been fined and had to pay the billag thing?
I dutifully pay the radio tax, but not the TV as I do not have a television, nor do I watch TV online.

Every few years or so I get a letter from Billag asking if I own a television, or watch TV via internet, etc. I simply write exactly that: I do not own a televison, and although I own a computer I do not subscribe to any TV services nor do I watch TV online.

Billag seems satisfied with that; they continue to bill me for radio only.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #853  
Old 07.12.2011, 06:48
araqyl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 1,515
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 649 Times in 374 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
If I understand it correctly, you would probably pay more, as the vote is to charge everyone a uniform tax instead of taxing households based upon their individual usage. So 'radio-only' and 'non' users would have to pay in more to offset the 'less' that 'radio and television' users would pay.
Exactly why, if I were able to vote, I would vote against it. Was just highlighting the nonsense where somebody claimed, "everyone would pay 100 chf less!".

Quote:
View Post
I dutifully pay the radio tax, but not the TV as I do not have a television, nor do I watch TV online.

Every few years or so I get a letter from Billag asking if I own a television, or watch TV via internet, etc. I simply write exactly that: I do not own a televison, and although I own a computer I do not subscribe to any TV services nor do I watch TV online.

Billag seems satisfied with that; they continue to bill me for radio only.
Same. I enjoy Swiss radio, listen to an hour or two at home each day, on average. My favourite station broadcasts in Swiss-German, and have recently started daily "five-minute" Romansche lessons. 90% of the music they play is the same stuff that was on the radio when I was the age of my eldest two kids, which feels a bit strange, but I enjoy that too.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank araqyl for this useful post:
  #854  
Old 07.12.2011, 10:05
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,613
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,790 Times in 938 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
If you have a computer, or even a smartphone, Billag can, and will, claim you can receive television and radio through those devices, and charge you accordingly.

Like I said- resistance is futile.
This is not 100% true. I have internet, computers and mobiles and only pay the radio tax, and I am legal
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #855  
Old 07.12.2011, 11:22
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
This is not 100% true. I have internet, computers and mobiles and only pay the radio tax, and I am legal
When I called Billag to set up my 'account' I was told I had to pay for the television and radio tax as I possessed the capability to watch television or listen to radio on my computers and smartphone. The person I talked to even pointed out that, as I use upc-cablecom for my ISP, I have access to television over the internet, through a upc-cablecom run site. I think, in my Swiss noob-ness, I volunteered too much information, and now I'm on the hook.

What I have gathered from others' stories on EF is that Billag seems to operate on a more-or-less 'honor system' whereby, if you say you only listen to radio, they only charge you the radio tax, etc. Occasionally, Billag employees go out and 'look around' or a Billag employee asks a few probing questions over the phone to see if people are being honest. Am I far from the mark?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jobsrobertsharpii for this useful post:
  #856  
Old 07.12.2011, 12:00
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,613
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,790 Times in 938 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
I think, in my Swiss noob-ness, I volunteered too much information, and now I'm on the hook.
It has nothing to do with volunteering too much information.

If you have internet, but you do not subscribe to a television provider, you don't have to pay the TV fee. They will probably send someone to your home to check if you really have no tv (since it's easy to check/prove if you subscribed to a tv provider or not on your internet bill), but you don't even have to let them inside your home.

I had a pretty good text in English writen by my OH, but can't find it. Here is a link for you meanwhile:

Connecting laptop to digital TV receiver? Plus "Billag"

I have no TV, no TV subscription, and haven't seen TV in years. It's awesome!
__________________

Fighting for Pluto's liberation from the Dwarf League since 2006 @(°.°)=@)x.X)' ' '
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #857  
Old 07.12.2011, 13:00
vwild1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
If you have internet, but you do not subscribe to a television provider, you don't have to pay the TV fee.

Wrong, you do have to pay.

http://www.billag.ch/web/de/fragen_u...en/geraet.html

Ich habe einen Computer mit Internetzugang. Muss ich mich für den Radio- bzw. den Fernsehempfang anmelden?

Laut Gesetz muss man sich anmelden, sobald ein Gerät vorhanden ist, das technisch in der Lage ist, Programme zu empfangen. Darunter fallen, wenn gewisse Bedingungen erfüllt sind, auch Computer mit Internetzugang. (Ob die Programme auch genutzt werden oder nicht, ist rechtlich nicht von Belang.)

Google translation:

I have a computer with Internet access. Do I need to radio or television reception?

By law you have to register as soon as a device is present, the technology is able to receive programs. Including product, if certain conditions are met, including computers with Internet access. (Whether the programs are also used or not is legally irrelevant.)

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #858  
Old 07.12.2011, 13:02
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
Can anyone help me understand Billig? I can't understand the man who came to my house asking me to sign documents and I thought we already paid our bills for television. Many thanks!

I have several Billag people locked up in my basement and am selling their organs on Ebay. Can I have your Billag man if you don't need him?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #859  
Old 07.12.2011, 13:03
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,613
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,790 Times in 938 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
Wrong, you do have to pay.

http://www.billag.ch/web/de/fragen_u...en/geraet.html

Ich habe einen Computer mit Internetzugang. Muss ich mich für den Radio- bzw. den Fernsehempfang anmelden?

Laut Gesetz muss man sich anmelden, sobald ein Gerät vorhanden ist, das technisch in der Lage ist, Programme zu empfangen. Darunter fallen, wenn gewisse Bedingungen erfüllt sind, auch Computer mit Internetzugang. (Ob die Programme auch genutzt werden oder nicht, ist rechtlich nicht von Belang.)
Wrong. You have to pay radio, but you only have to pay TV if the "conditions" are met. Those conditions include having the TV package. Though some internet contracts have those packages automatically, others, such as mine, don't. If I want to receive TV over internet, I have to pay extra to Cablecom.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #860  
Old 07.12.2011, 13:08
vwild1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Billag

Quote:
View Post
sobald ein Gerät vorhanden ist, das technisch in der Lage ist, Programme zu empfangen. Darunter fallen, wenn gewisse Bedingungen erfüllt sind, auch Computer mit Internetzugang. (Ob die Programme auch genutzt werden oder nicht, ist rechtlich nicht von Belang.)
Quote:
View Post
Wrong. You have to pay radio, but you only have to pay TV if the "conditions" are met. Those conditions include having the TV package.
The condition being "Programme zu empfangen". Got a browser..? condition met, pay up.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
billag, billag internet, billag visiting, bills, entertainment tax, fine, internet registration, radio licence, rants, ripped off, tax, television fees, tv licence




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0