View Single Post
Old 03.11.2010, 09:52
Forum Legend

Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 7,477 Times in 3,515 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Translation of house purchase contract at Notary Question

Quote:
View Post
We are in the process of buying our first house here in CH and everything in going well.

Today the estate agent has informed me that we have two options when we go to the notary to sign the contract in a few weeks.

1. Get someone to translate the contract (approx 1kCHF), we sign.
2. Give authority to a German speaker who will sign the contract on our behalf.

Option 2 sounds strange to me and I was wondering if this is normal and if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks

A
I would not sign anything you do not understand. An estate agent is not somoeone I would trust at all and I do not believe option 2 is posssible.

Has your bank seen the sales contract? I would assume you are dealing with someone who speaks English regarding the financing of your house.

My first suggestion would be to ask someone from the notary's office to translate it for you. The second would be to sit down with the financial advisor at your bank.
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post: