View Single Post
Old 07.09.2007, 08:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family Naturalization

Quote:
View Post
Hi, my great-grand parents were swiss and my grandmother is now applying for facilitated naturalization (she was not aware about registering before the age of 22 deal).
My questions are:
1. If she fills out the forms correctly, what are the chances that they will go through? We have extremely close ties to our cousins there and are part of the Swiss American Society and we all speak French and know confederation history.
2. My dad wants to get it after she gets it, will he have a good chance if he fills out the forms correctly?
3. How long does it take, I hear about two years.
4. Should my dad apply at the same time as my grandmother, or wait till she acquires it?
5. Since we have close ties to Switzerland, should my grandma just apply for reinstatement.
6. and last but not least, Im only 15, but I really want to get out of this goddamn country, if my dad gets citizenship do i get it automatically?
if it helps at all, i am perfectly willing to join there army.
Hello, I think you have misread or at least misinterpreted the legislation. Here is how it works...
Your grandmother may not need to apply for facilitated legislation!
IF, big IF, your great-grandfather was Swiss and not naturalised Swiss she is Swiss and can go to the local Swiss embassy and claim her passport. She might need to wait and might need to go along with relevant documents or if she does not have them will need to know where in Switzerland your grandfather comes from ie his so called Heimatort. She will then be Swiss. However... Your father and therefore you will not be but... Article 58a of the naturalization act covers your father and you. If she has met the above criteria by having a genuine Swiss father then your father can claim under this act and in so doing must include his children in the application which will also therefore automatically include you. If your grandmother gets the passport and moves to Switzerland then he is automatically entitled to the Swiss nationality on the grounds of close ties. If you have cousins who are Swiss this can take longer.

The key to the whole process is to make sure your grandmother does NOT apply through facilitated naturalization otherwise the process might not work. IF she must apply ie your grandfather was not Swiss then the situation is in the lap of the gods who in this case are the Swiss authorities in Bern.

Just for the record, your Swiss great grandmother is irrelevant...