View Single Post
Old 10.09.2007, 16:10
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 45 Times in 31 Posts
tomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond reputetomcat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any pilots out there / in here?

Quote:
View Post
Hi Tomcat/ VaudBrit

I am planning to go to Florida to finish my PPL in Nov (solo in SA in 2003 but no time to finish til now) and to start my IR at the Diamond accredited air-school. What is the consensus on FAA vs JAR for European flying?

My end goal is to find a group of like-minded types in an existing syndicate or starting a new one, perhaps with a DA42 Twinstar at Lausanne...?

There is an existing club for Diamond aircraft called Next aviation and I have been speaking to the founder of that (who is also Swiss country rep for Diamond) but apparently there has not been enough interest to order the aircraft in.

Tomcat, you sound like a keen and current pilot: how/ where/ what do you fly now you're in CH?

Per ardua ad astra!
Well howdy fellow pilot. Florida is not a bad place, but around you definitely need a JAR license to get anywhere, FAA won't help you much. You also need a certain amount of PIC hours in your logbook to convert FAA > JAR, then it's quite doable. The BAZL Web site has a checklist:

Conversion Swiss JAR-FCL PPL(A) (pdf file)

DA 42 is a bird, with those Thielert Diesel engines it flies good, and it looks damn fine, too.

Probably even a 1/10 share is way out of my price range, and Lausanne is a bit too far for this ZRH based wannabe banker.

I recently joined the MFGZ at ZRH airport and am taking some ground school (air law and human factors) so I can get those pieces of the knowledge test out of the way, then I will start flying (maybe next weekend?) to get the checkride done ... first PPL.

Planning to head to TX for some intense flying in Oct or Nov, then back over here to get my IR converted.

Hope this helps, holler with any FAA training or test questions. I nearly got my CFI just before I left the states and still have most of my knowledge and all of my books.