View Single Post
Old 30.11.2010, 10:31
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What if? Consequences of expulsion initiative being accepted?

Quote:
View Post
20Minuten went to a village called "Pfyn" in Thurgau. This nest has the highest vote of all in Switzerland: 91,4%! They interviewed everyone from the major to the locals in the pub: There are no problems at all with the foreigners living there. "But you1-read so much about criminal foreigners" and "2-we live close to the border - 3-many foreigners come here and take our jobs!". So at least the interviewed openly admit that they voted for the initiative without actually having a problem or in order to project their opinion of "foreigners in general" including jobs and immigration on this single topic. There are 200 foreigners living in the village. If I'd know that 9 out of ten people in my village have some "vague feeling against foreigners" - I would move.
http://www.20min.ch/news/ostschweiz/...ative-23975621

In Germany politicians keep on stressing that the reason for the representative democracy is that you can achieve better results by electing people that are knowledgeable in their domain instead of popular votes of badly informed masses. I fully disagreed specifically because I can see how well Switzerland is doing and that the very open democracy with all its downsides (as for example the really weird tax negotiations) is apparently not going bad.
One argument against direct democracy was always "that in the wrong moment - for example just after an especially bad murder case" the popular vote would be unbalanced and extreme forces could win majorities they normally would not get... and this seems to be true: A handful of cases and a well financed propaganda machine won this election.
The one thing I frankly do not like about the Swiss political system is the "Konkordanz" - the federal government is always set up to include all forces. The result is that each and every party is somehow involved in the government, but still can find plenty of scapegoats. In all other countries do you elect one party - say the SVP - see if they can live up to their promises. Chances are that they don't and in that case can they not blame anyone else anymore but lose the next election. So in my view is the danger of the Swiss system that it is great for populists: There are always easily many scapegoats to find and it is easy to hide the own responsibility...
Point 1 & 2 make me suggest something, that most of the recent crimes which is happening in border cities have been committed by non residents who live in the border countries example

Point 3 sounds like the actual reason of voting, which is what i mentioned earlier in the thread