Thread: Gold Buying
View Single Post
Old 03.12.2010, 11:01
Forum Legend

Groaned at 379 Times in 328 Posts
Thanked 15,445 Times in 8,398 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post
Safe?
Farmland, chinese Yuan, slavery, prostitution, weapons and military technology, defense, security (i.e. bulletproofing of cars, etc)....
There is no such thing as "risk free" left, since 9/11 and all that goes with it (in the broadest sense).
In the New Normal world (cfr. Bill Gross) there are no guaranteed yields, "safe bets", bond portfolios that magically pay for our retirement.
You can buy high yield stocks - but will have to come to terms with equity risk, you can go into higher yielding currencies (AUD, NZD, for example) - and then ride the forex turmoil, or buy high yielding corporate bonds and face the possibility of defaults.
Or else move to China and open a business there (which definitely does not count as "easy" or "free lunch" in my books)...
And neither gold will yield magical results.... just witness the $60 drop since I last posted in this thread.
Someone was taking of silver.
Hunt Brothers anyone? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt_brothers)

P.
Gold is now almost $1400 per oz & circa 44.4K CHF/kg, bubble seems to be holding.

According to todays newspapers Chinal is now not only the worlds largest gold miner but also the biggest gold importer.

Hard to know which way to jump with gold.