View Single Post
Old 20.12.2010, 21:25
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
H_M has no particular reputation at present
Re: Toronto Salaries vs Zurich

I lived in Toronto for 5 years.

I would guess that between 110-120k CAD you will get a comparable life style to 160k CHF. (My understanding of CH cost of living comes from the Lausanne area). I would argue that TO is pretty cheap for a large city, especially when compared with the expensive CH cities.

However, you should keep in mind that apartments in Toronto are very small, especially in the downtown areas. 75-80 sqm is somwhat luxurious for a single person.

What kind of areas are you interested in (downtown vs uptown / business vs shopping / posh expensive vs just a nice area / what kind of people (e.g Wall Street types vs young crowd vs families) would you like as neighbours? If you can give me an indication what you are interested in, then I can let you know of some areas where you can research rents.

You can PM me if you like for more info (e.g. reasonable salaries for specific line of work with given experience - I am more knowledgeable on non-technical / trade fields ... i.e. I couldnt tell you what a software engineer or a plumber makes.

Aside from the above, I can only speak fondly of Toronto. It is a great place to live and, imho, one of the best cities in North America
This user would like to thank H_M for this useful post: