View Single Post
Old 22.12.2010, 17:01
Forum Legend

Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you HAVE to relinquish your UK drivers license when you get a Swiss one?

Quote:
View Post
If my husband doesn't get a Swiss license, and keeps the UK one - can he use the UK one to hire a car in switzerland after the one year period? We are keeping a flat in the UK and will have a car in the UK (with insurance, registration all paid there) and don't intend to buy a car here - only rent a couple times a year for travelling so to me it makes more sense to have a UK license.
If your primary residence is CH, then after 12 mths a foreign licence is no longer valid and needs to be exchanged for a Swiss one. As mentioned, several times already, there is no problem using this in UK. Is this such a problem?
If Scotland is technically still your place of residence, then there should be no reason why you can't use a UK licence for renters, here, when you visit, with no time constraints -- however I think this isn't your situation(?). You may well end up, "upsetting" one authority or the other. And in the eyes of the law, I believe driving with an invalid licence is seen as the same as having no licence, with whatever penalties that may carry.
I made a reply to the OP of this thread (2nd reply/3rd post, above), that may offer a clue to a possible compromise (albeit possibly fraudulent).
In order to have a valid UK licence you need a registered place of residence.
Whatever course you decide on, tread very carefully, as in the worse case scenario of having an accident, insurers will look for the smallest reason/technicality, of getting out of coughing-up, and you could find yourselves liable.
After all, a licence is only a piece of paper/plastic and should only be seen as providing a legal entitlement to drive, where ever it is issued.

Last edited by TiMow; 22.12.2010 at 17:05. Reason: addition
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post: