View Single Post
Old 27.01.2011, 10:53

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputationSwissoconnors has an excellent reputation
Re: Family Friendly places to visit in Switzerland

The Hergiswil Glasi is more than just a glassblowing place where you can watch and blow your own, there's a lovely *free* interactive museum suitable for kids and adults with hands-on stuff to do including glass musical instruments to bang on (yes really), recordings of real music i.e. classical pieces played on glass instruments, a little fairytale show involving six fairytales that have glass in them in some way (think Cinderella's slipper), explanations of how glass is made, clothing items made of glass threads, science experiments about frequency and other things, ... and outside there's a small playground (with sand so be warned) and a huge marble run which you can buy marbles to roll down and keep. The marble run is made of metal and glass so it makes a lovely noise as the marbles run down, and there are two or three different tracks and a slide to get back down from the top (after you put your marble in). It takes about a minute or maybe two for your marble to get all the way down. In my view it's worth a visit just for the marble run, but then I only live twenty minutes away.
Oh also outside, there's the lake (complete with café and lovely views of the mountains of course) and three fountains (in the lake) with push buttons and handles and things to make the water do different stuff. My two love this! Keeps the kids busy while you have your coffee... you might even want to push some buttons too!

Can you tell I'm a big fan. The Swiss really know how to do good museums. (And no, I'm not getting anything in exchange for this review, and I'm not in any way affiliated to the Glasi. I just really like it... and live in NW where there isn't very much else indoors for kids!)