View Single Post
Old 06.09.2006, 19:08
Forum Legend

Groaned at 41 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,697 Posts
Nickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond reputeNickers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Areas to Avoid in Zurich (when looking for place to live)

Not sure there are any 'bad' areas in Zurich well not bad in UK terms anyway (I am probably going to be pulled up on this and told of loads of places).

We live in Seebach and spent the first 6 weeks or so in nearby Oerlikon, everyone we spoke to turned their noses up at us living here, said it was a back water place, no life, full of immigrants (typical racist comment we heard from a lot of Swiss about living here) but as far as we are concerned its fine, my parents recently visited and we went for a drink in Oerlikon, I told them that this area was generally classed as a bad area, they were amazed, they said if this is a bad area they can't imagine how amazing the good areas are!!

Basically what I am trying to say is that I am not sure you can end up in a truely bad area like in the UK but you can probably end up in some really expensive nice areas - to me the beauty of Zurich is that it doesn't matter where you'll live as everywhere seems safe and clean (even in the so called 'bad' areas)

Nicky

Quote:
My husband grew up in the Bern/Solothurn area, so doesn't have a lot of familiarity with Zurich. Plus he's been gone from Switzerland for the past 10 years. Now it looks like he'll be getting a position in the Zurich area (currently looks like Opfikon). Initially he'll be renting a studio flat or possibly a flat share until we can get the whole family move organised (house sold etc.).

I am assuming that with Zurich, as with most (all?) cities, there are areas that are best avoided in terms of crime/drugs/safety. Are there any particular areas that we should be aware of when he's looking for a place? He has one friend who lives in Zurich, but he hasn't heard back from him yet on this, and besides, I always think it's a good idea to get input from multiple people on questions like this. Said friend lives in central Zurich near the train station and works on the opposite side of the city so not sure how much help he could be on this anyway, if that's where my husband does end up with a position.

Thanks for any input you might have.