Thread: Skirt steak?
View Single Post
Old 18.02.2011, 22:53
Forum Legend

Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skirt steak?

Quote:
View Post
If it is steak for stewing, it may be Seidfleisch. It is less than < CHF 20 a kilo at my butcher, but you need to cook it for at least an hour. It is great for curry and casseroles.
Take a look at the Flickr photo sequence. It shows a great way to make burgers from scratch without grinding the meat.

I've used seidfleisch for stewing before but I'm actually still not sure if it's a fairly generic term for stewing meat rather than a specific cut.

To get technical about skirt steak:

Quote:
The outside skirt steak is the trimmed, boneless portion of the diaphragm muscle attached to the 6th through 12th ribs on the underside of the short plate. This steak is covered in a tough membrane that should be removed before cooking.
The inside skirt steak is a boneless portion of the flank trimmed free of fat and membranes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt_steak

It's good for a burger because it's full of flavour. You don't need to worry about the comparative lack of tenderness because the meat is going to be finely chopped.