Thread: Skirt steak?
View Single Post
Old 19.02.2011, 18:51
Forum Legend

Groaned at 33 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 6,867 Times in 2,212 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skirt steak?

Thanks for that, TiMow. The problem is that (particularly in the UK, less so in the US), the two terms are used interchangeably. I realise that a 'flank' steak and a 'skirt' steak are two different cuts, but almost anything that comes from the bottom of the cow and has a distinct grain to it is sold as a 'skirt' steak in the UK. I wasn't sure if the original poster meant the specific 'skirt' steak, or whether any of the lean, flavourful cuts from the underside of the cow would do -- which is why I gave both options.

As I said in my earlier post about bavettes in France, most French butchers seem to cut off the entire underside of the cow in a single, long strip. It's usually about 12-14" wide and over 3' long. They'll then cut individual bavette steaks off this, and unless you specify which end you want, your steak can come from any part of this.

And aside from the thickness of the steak itself, I find that most recipes that call for skirt steak work fine with flank steak and vice versa. I like both, and tend to marinate them and cook them over high heat, serving them rare to keep them tender.

All this talk of steak made me crave a bavette of my own this evening, but alas, it was not to be. My French butcher didn't have any in stock aside from the ones already thinly sliced and on the shelf. So it's a pot au feu for us...