View Single Post
Old 21.02.2011, 15:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 113 Times in 101 Posts
Thanked 9,824 Times in 4,138 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FAQ: A brief guide to salaries in Switzerland

I started reading, but got bored. Can you tell me if 250,000 CHF is enough to live on?

... I kid! I kid!

A couple of points related to the same thing that I think could misleading.

Quote:
View Post
QUELLENSTEUER (WITHHOLDING TAX)

Note that as a foreigner, you’ll pay your tax by quellensteuer, which means your tax payments will be withheld from your paycheque each month. In Switzerland, nothing is ever straightforward as laws vary from canton to canton, but in general, if you earn less than CHF120’000 a year, you’ll pay your tax by quellensteuer and need to do nothing further...

You should still file a tax return, or do the exercise, as you might be owed money back, especially if you have a bonus or 13th month salary.

And also because...

Quote:
View Post
FOREIGN TAXES

For most expats working in Switzerland, the only tax you’ll end up paying as a full-time resident in Switzerland is Swiss tax. Americans, on the other hand, remain liable for US tax regardless of where they live in the world. Be sure to calculate the impact of US taxes on your take-home pay. The best guide for understanding US taxation of American expats is here
This is is massively misleading. You are liable for Swiss tax on all your global assets.

Otherwise top effort VI!