Thread: Skirt steak?
View Single Post
Old 21.02.2011, 19:41
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
tooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputation
Re: Skirt steak?

Quote:
View Post
But it is Leistenfleisch a specific cut, rather than just a name for meat with a particular use in mind?

My colleague thinks that Federstück is the correct name.

Many of the tougher cuts of beef are scorned by naive consumers but loved by those who know what to do with them.
Alas, I don't really know. Leistenfleisch, Kronfleisch, Saumfleisch, and Bauchlappen (supposedly flank) are such obscure cuts here that nobody really knows. Butchers just shrug when you ask…

The Swiss are such pansies when it comes to meat, they only want filet and entrecote, not knowing the love of ground chuck, or of flank or skirt grilled rate… (or of a marinated beef heart skewer, aka anticucho) They have completely forgotten that cows aren't only made of chateaubriand.

Of course, since Swiss retail beef is tough as shoe leather, that's maybe no surprise. It turns out those trays with the "protective" atmosphere ("Unter Schutzatmosphäre verpackt") serve to make the beef bright red, but actually prevents it from naturally aging at all, causing it to be super-tough. And it also causes the meat to go brown during cooking earlier than it should, meaning that looking at its color is not a reliable indicator of how well done it is, should you be concerned about that. (I'm not really.) Kassensturz did a report about this a month ago. They also mentioned that retail beef here isn't aged at all, while restaurant beef is aged 2-10 weeks. So yeah, my feeling all these years that Swiss beef was inferior to American beef was right.

I will now continue my practice of buying vacuum-packed beef (or tray-packed followed by home vacuum packing) and aging it a week beyond the very conservative Swiss expiration dates. This produces delectably tender and tasty beef.
This user would like to thank tooki for this useful post: