View Single Post
Old 26.02.2011, 14:44
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 23 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,198 Times in 462 Posts
Susan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond reputeSusan57 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BROWN and YELLOW teeth from toothpastes

Hi Dr. "Graybeard",
Many thanks for your expert and informative message. Obviously, you have a world of experience to share and are definitely an insider. Most of us are limited by our scope of experience and knowledge, and I would never pretend to know everything. I have, however, worked in five countries, in four languages, in countless dental offices. Mainly, I love what I do, and like the idea of empowering the patients with the ability to take care of themself. The fact many patients were using products which caused stain, was concerning to me, thus, my original message. It did open a can of worms, and forced me to do more research and to acknowledge my own limitations.

You are absolutely correct about the Elmex Grün and stannous fluoride. It is the Meridol, which uses stannous fluoride, as well as an American toothpaste, called Pro-Health. Actually, in some cases, Stannous Fluoride can be of great benefit, especially when treating some cases of periodontal disease. I actually recommend it, when the health factor is at risk. Even yellow teeth, are better than no teeth. I suppose you agree.

I think another factor, which has become an issue is the RDA (abrasivity index) of toothpastes, which is another area of concern for me. So many patients suffer from abrasion/erosion and are slowly losing their enamel. Of course, one must also evaluate the other factors, like diet.

As I have worked in several countries, with the dental hygiene profession in development, I have personally seen the huge effect it has had upon the population. Switzerland has been a forerunner, in this sense. I apologize to you, if my comments indicated otherwise. I am Swiss, as well, and am proud of it.

It seems the more I know, the less I know, and the more I want to know! You have certainly felt the same, after 60 years. Bravo!

BTW, have a look at my thread concerning dentistry in "ausland". I would like to hear your response.
This user would like to thank Susan57 for this useful post: