View Single Post
Old 26.02.2011, 20:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 95 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 8,241 Times in 4,127 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BROWN and YELLOW teeth from toothpastes

Quote:
View Post
Good job! I'd like to add that there may be good reasons for using stannous fluoride, as Susan already stated above, but if that is the case and serious staining does occur, I'd recommend using the stannous stuff and another paste alternately instead of forgoing the possible health benefits of the stannous fluoride for the sake of mere beauty. Susan, what do you think?
Yes. I did mean to add that to the summary. SF can be necessary for certian "problems" but since I wasn't sure what how, I left it off. I hope I still get good marks!

Quote:
View Post
I can't quite follow that kind of logic. Actually, the enamel generally is rather on the whitish side. The dentin, which is the layer beneath the enamel, is more yellowish - brownish. The thinner the enamel, the more you can see the darker dentin through it.
I don't know the logic either. I've just heard it said. Maybe they mean thin teeth in general where thicker teeth have thicker dentin?

Quote:
View Post
On the other hand, there are huge differences expecially as to the color of dentin. In our lab, we use 48 dentin colors for making crowns that match their natural neighbors. You wouldn't believe the wide range of colors.
I went to get my teeth whitened a few weeks ago and I was surprised that I was only three down from the lightest. I haven't been to the dentist since I left CH 2 years ago.

I wonder if these little sample teeth are the same for every country. My teeth certainly are not blinding white like we see on celebrities.

Quote:
View Post

The problem is, people who think they do a great job because they brush their teeth very frequently may ruin their root dentin unless they really know how to do it properly. That's where Susan and her ilk come into the picture, showing you what to do and how to do it, including the abrasivity aspect of tooth pastes.
Ah. So erosion is a problem at the gum and the root?

Thanks for insight. An interesting thread.