View Single Post
Old 28.02.2011, 19:12
RS13 RS13 is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
RS13 has earned some respectRS13 has earned some respect
Taxes for part-time work - graduate student

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone could help

I'm a masters student at ETH Zurich, and have been offered part-time employment (outside of the university) in an engineering consulting firm (I have a couple of years of work experience already before I started this degree). They are flexible enough and said they can formalise it into an internship if need be as it is closely related to my studies.

Just received a draft contract and it says that I would be employed as a free-lance contractor, which means that I am responsible to pay not just taxes, but also admin costs (invoicing for my time)/insurance - and so these are not covered in my hourly wage. Does anyone know what is the tax rate, and also insurance costs for part-time work/internship for university students? The are offering an hourly wage that is about the same as what the university is offering for teaching assistants (grad students) - about 25chf per hour. But I dont know whether those employed by universities are responsible to pay for these additional admin costs as well as taxes?

I am wondering if it would be wise to ask for a bit more (or if that is even acceptable in Switzerland...) to cover for these costs? I've never worked on a 'free lance' basis before. In my previous workplaces my salary packages have always covered all the 'extras' (taxes/pension fund, etc), and also I have never had to deal these 'self-employment costs'.

Thanks in advance!


Reply With Quote