View Single Post
Old 01.03.2011, 11:07
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,522 Times in 1,309 Posts
ecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond reputeecb has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Living in the Wilderness

We quite unwittingly went a little bit native because we both wanted to keep up activities that we had always been involved in. So I joined the local choir and music society and husband joined the sports club. Lost count of how many people in subsequent years have complimented us for making such an effort and that previous "foreigners" in the village had never got involved like we had. Felt a little embarassed as it was quite unintentionally done on our part

Joining societies that are slightly out of your comfort zone (small village choir for me with majority of members 50+) means that I know a much wider variety of people in the village than I would have done if I had just met other mums through children's activities ... and then you find out that all the "older" people in the choir are the parents of your other mummy friends and the grandparents of your children's friends, so it all kind of joins up in a rather sweet (although some may say suffocating) sort of way. Certainly makes going to village festivals and celebrations (for which read sausage grilling) more bearable as I could never have gone at the beginning when everyone knows everyone else and you are very much on the outside. Not good at that sort of situation.

Mathnut .. yes, names! They are big on names here, and I am really bad at remembering names. It is a problem! Every choir rehearsal we arrive and go around shaking the hands of all 40+ members and saying "hello insert name of person" Almost 5 years in, I've just about got 75% sussed
The following 10 users would like to thank ecb for this useful post: