View Single Post
Old 09.03.2011, 08:19
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
technix has no particular reputation at present
Work permit visa and dependent visa

Hi,

I have been accepted as a doctoral student at ETH Zurich and last week someone from the institute has applied for work/stay permits for me and my wife at the Zurich canton. I am from India. I am hearing two versions of what I should do next.

Version 1. Apply for a D visa immediately at the Swiss consulate in Mumbai and the processes in both Mumbai and Zurich will go on in parallel since there is a fair bit of paperwork between the two places during the process.

Version 2. Wait for the approval from the Zurich Canton after which I just take an appointment with the consulate in Mumbai and go in and get my passport stamped.

I am confused about this since it might take 3-4 weeks at the minimum for my approval to come from Zurich and then if the visa will take another 3-4 weeks in mumbai, i will miss out on my joining date of 1st May.

Also, if my wife is also applying for a dependent visa along with me, how long does the process usually take. The authorities at ETH-Zurich have applied for a residence permit for my wife as well.

Please advise.

thanks
technix