Thread: In the Clink
View Single Post
Old 08.10.2007, 12:28
Forum Legend

Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,248 Posts
Nathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond reputeNathu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In the Clink

Quote:
View Post
With the lack of cheap accomodation in Zürich that might be a shrewd move.

I did hear that for some crimes you are actually allowed to work during the day and then return to prison at night. Maybe you can find out which crime best suits your needs.
If it bothers you that many appartments have only three regular moving dates per year, keep in mind that with the new Swiss penal law, prison sentences under six months are a rarity now (smaller offenses are now punished with fines).

About half of the cantons allow work outside prison under certain circumstances when more than half of the penalty time has passed.

Quote:
View Post
If I may, most of them are not really the kind of non-Swissies you'd like to meet....

I am being told our local jail in Geneva is far from a five star hotel, since the number of inmates is almost 3x the design number. So probably you are going to have to share that Playstation...
According to this article (German) the capacity of Swiss prisons is mostly in use with a high average of 93%. Four out of five inmates are foreign.

Champ-Dollon is the tip of the iceberg, running at outrageous 180% of its intended capacity. Regrettably it has been like this for eight years now because of incompetent politicians and a different mentality of judges in Geneva (more inmates in remand).