View Single Post
Old 12.09.2006, 23:05

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
noob2the_max has no particular reputation at present
Tax related help/self employed

My husband is Swiss(employed) and we have been married 7 years. We moved to CH 6 years ago. I was fully employed for first 4+ years. Then I became unemployed.
I took unemployment benefit for 6 months after which I told RAV that I did not want it anymore as they wanted my career to go in depressing unrelated directions. I told them that I would eventually become self-employed so I did not want to take jobs unrealted to my field. I had and still have plenty of money saved up so I did not care too much. On January 2007 I am planing to go self-employed. For 2005 Tax return my husband declared that I did not earn any money. I have not payed any AHV and other stuff after I said bye to RAV. I was told that I was not obliged to pay it if I don't want unemployment benefit and if I want to go self-employed. We are in the middel of doing 2006 tax return but the only problem is that I earnt CHF5000 in that year via freelance work on the side. In the tax return form there are two columns. One for me and one for my husband. Should I declare the CHF5000 or do it like 2005 Tax return where I said that I did not earn anything?
As I am unemployed, not taking any money from govt and as I am going to be self-employed what will the effect of me declaring those CHF 5000 for 2006 be?

Btw the pension money from my full time job is sitting in Winthertur insurance. I am allowed to take it if I go self-employed. Am I liable to pay any taxes for 2006? Do I have to make any contribution towards AHV etc in light of what I explained above?

I am very confused as things took lot longer than I thought it would with regards to getting the business up. Everything is going in the right direction now but this CHF 5000 is tricky. What if I say that I did not earn aynthing just like I said in 2005? Can CHF 5000 get me in trouble?