View Single Post
Old 13.04.2011, 18:37
modified, reprogrammed and doctored˛

Groaned at 356 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 19,133 Times in 9,982 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working as an independent tutor? (EU B Permit)

Honestly, it sounds like a fantastic project. Homeschooling can so work when the atmosphere is good, there is motivation and energy, support from parents and "reseau" for you if things do not go right.

I don't want to knock it down, either. I would, however, question, how ready I am after a year and a half of being on and off hospitalized for mental illness.

You sound like you are planning to do this alone. It can be super stressful, 20hrs is about 80%. I think 60fr is a lot more realistic. If you facture in admin work, state school gives you 45min a week if you are class teacher in my public school, you cannot really ask for more, I would, still, if parents agree (2-3 per week).

I understand you want to get back on your feet and not be on disability pension, but considering the fatigue, all the problems you reported here, how un-supportive your family sounds, I would start baby steps or organize this with a couple of friends who can step in, cheer you up, pass on some wisdom, back you up...From a hospital bed and therapy, into a full time freelance work with all the responsibility, might be a big step, fatiguing.

The best would be to organize this with a local friend, or one of the moms if she is stay at home, speaks local lingo and would be willing to help out with administration.

I think you should also contact your commune and hire an accountant for a sitting or two, to see where you permit takes you, what your duties are, fiscally, social security wise, and what you need to do to file your taxes well.

Out of all the modes of reinsertion, going freelance here in CH is the most difficult one. In my opinion - split it: a few hours tutoring, a few in public school, a few on your own, then move over to the one that works the best, build it up. I have done it for 15 years, with different focus depending where I was and what I was doing, it's a great way to have security. Good luck and don't lose your dreams.

I am sure you have searched, there is a nifty blog I found, with a forum to ask relevant practical questions (and it is next door, too).

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post: