View Single Post
Old 02.05.2011, 17:27
Forum Legend

Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids -To facebook or not to facebook?

I, like the OP, am not, nor will be on FB - I personally don't have the need or desire (at present). I also have an 11 yr old (daughter), who till now has never mentioned this relating to her or any one she knows (to me, anyway). So not an issue here at the moment, but I wouldn't encourage it if it came up, for at least a year or so - I genuinely don't see the need - face to face contact with people she knows is better - and hopefully safer - imo.

In my time, there was good old bullying (mobbing) in the playground - you knew where you were and who you were up against; then came text/SMS attacks, which can be really spiteful and damaging; and now cyber attacks and bullying.

There was a case recently (sorry vague on details and recollection), where a head teacher (in UK) who had cause to exclude a pupil, and during the Easter holidays, a really nasty smear campaign was mounted on FB against him and some of the staff. Eventually FB had to shut it down ... eventually.

Maybe not an eggs-with-eggs comparison, relevant to this discussion, but worth noting - and probably one of many similar instances.

[notwithstanding the many users who quietly benefit from FB on a daily basis]