View Single Post
Old 02.05.2011, 18:21
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,058 Times in 937 Posts
Textoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids -To facebook or not to facebook?

Two of my children have Facebook pages. They were allowed to open them around age 13 only with the understanding that having the account is a privilege, not a right, and I have the option of deactivating the account for any reason (e.g. things like grades and behavior; not just what might be taking place on the FB page). I helped them with the setup of the account, thus I knew their passwords. Both kids are also my FB friends, which allows me to look at their page and photos (I do actually know of some kids of 13 or 14 who have a page and are not friends with their own parents). Overall, it has been a positive for my kids.

Perhaps you could instigate a "trial period" during which you set up his account together then you can monitor what is going on so you can decide whether having the account is a good thing for him?

I would add that it is critical for you to be in charge of understanding and managing the privacy controls related to the account. That element is sometimes confusing even to adults (much less adolescents), and Facebook seems to be in the habit of changing what is going on with their privacy controls quite often.