View Single Post
Old 02.05.2011, 19:48
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
lilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids -To facebook or not to facebook?

I believe a parent is the best judge of what is appropriate or not for his/her kid or teen.

My creature started asking around 12 yrs old. I came to allow her with the following rules:
  • that she would friend mom and dad immediately, without playing games
  • that her name and picture would be totally obscure (fantasy name and pic of a favorite character)
  • that mom has her password, and it doesn't get changed
She accepted those rules, and learnt in the process to keep her account safe. Of course, I was moderating in a discreet way; I always explained her why I would delete or modify something, and she has never complained.

She is 15 now, has an amazing control on the security features, I still control and supervise for safety...

I don't think we have to demonize a tool. My biggest worry was that she would bypass my opinion and create her account unsupervised - and how would I know that? nor secure it? and while she is not malicious and would not normally do such a thing, some school mates are not as controlled.