View Single Post
Old 03.05.2011, 01:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kids -To facebook or not to facebook?

For me personally, Facebook has been a very useful tool to get back in touch with a lot of my friends and family members as none of us are particularly good at staying in touch.

HOWEVER, through my sis & my nephew as well as some of my friends who now have teens, I know that this can be a big issue for them individually (both my friends the parents and the children themselves) but also as a family.

I think it is important for the parent to have access to the FB of their child - or access to ANY online tool they use, whether it is something like FB or MySpace or an online game - so they can have a good idea of what's going on, or at the very least, the child knows that you can have a good idea any time you want to look.

Another thing that I think is important, just from even the "early days" of online stuff (AOL in my family, when I was in my 20s and my youngest siblings were teens), is that any computer that has internet access should be placed in a shared environment, so that no secret doings are taking place. This will help limit the trouble that can be gotten into as most folks won't start talking nasty ("nasty" meaning either way, mean or naughty) to or about others if they think Mom / spouse could walk by any minute. Of course there are exceptions to this but still, I think that the "oh oh, caught!" factor is a strong controller of behavior, perhaps stronger than outright attempts at control.