View Single Post
Old 13.05.2011, 20:01
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Switzerlanded with a noise complaint

So I came home from work yesterday and I heard my dog barking from down the street, which was unusual. When I get into the flat, I find he has completely shit himself (possibly a reaction to the change in food or to the vaccination he had the day before). Well, no wonder he was barking!!!

So I put him in the tub and clean him off, get him downstairs to go to the bathroom properly, come back and clean his kennel.

Well, today, I get a complaint notice that the dogs are barking ALL day, and that I have to do something about it. Not only was I notified that there was a problem, but I was told my contract would be terminated if it happened again.

I am really miffed. I have been very diligent not to make any unnecessary noise or leave any messes, and I always clean up after my dogs right away. But people make all kinds of noise around here. Doors slamming, full volume conversation in the stairwell late at night, TVs turned up loud... last night there was a party going on at 2:00 in the morning taking place in the building across from me, children playing on the street at 7:00am this past Sunday morning, too. Did I complain? Not one bit. Noise happens.

But one day my dog falls ill, sits in his own shit and barks a bit because he's unhappy, and I get a complaint??? I hope my anonymous neighbor knows that I also have the landlord's phone number. If this is how they want to be, I can start complaining, too. Fortunately for them, I'm a bigger person than to do that. However I am tempted to pee standing up and to flush the toilet after 10:00pm. Maybe I'll vacuum on Sunday, too.

But I am more angry with the landlord -- and yes I mean angry. Why would a landlord entertain a complaint for a one-time incident without there even being evidence of it (just an accusation)? Why would they threaten to terminate the contract without even finding out WHY it happened? It really seems unfair to me and I am wondering if it isn't just flat out discrimination.