View Single Post
Old 16.05.2011, 07:59

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
pagl57 is considered knowledgeablepagl57 is considered knowledgeablepagl57 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Glass Kitchen Surface Question

Some ads say that glass kitchen countertops can give a kitchen that sexy modern look that so many people today are looking for...

An ad says:
- it is tempered glass, so it is relatively durable,
- it can withstand weight but will definitely break if heavy objects are dropped onto it,
- its natural color is greenish but can be modified by coating opaque or translucent colors onto the backside,
- it can come in different finishes; smooth, textured, etched, sandblasted, grooved or patterned,
- it is non-porous,
- it is quite heat-resistant,
- it is relatively stain proof,

My 2 cents:
- everything in favor of hygiene is true as long as a countertop is in 1 piece; when cleaned normally, bacteria and food can only hide in the joints,
- if not dried properly, I think they are not that easy to keep clean, finger prints and moisture marks will easily show, especially on a non textured surface,
- when damaged or broken, there is no simple repair but total replacement of the piece,
- color matching can be difficult (with regard to natural or bulb light in the kitchen),
- I would avoid cutting vegetables directly on it.
- I wonder if our vision is clear and accurate when cutting on a non opaque, fuzzy surface.

As an intense kitchen user, my preference goes to inox and to the good old granite surface. It meets most of the advantages mentioned and gives a more robust and longlasting impression. I can imagine it can look fantastic, it can be an 'entertaining' element, but do I want to 'impress' myself every day with it?
Isn't it just something hip?
This user would like to thank pagl57 for this useful post: