View Single Post
Old 17.05.2011, 22:45
Forum Legend

Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Keeping Swiss German in Kanton Zürich Kindergartens

Quote:
View Post
Ok Eddie, I know that you have never been outside the US... but anyway: The Swiss did standardize their language. In the 1890s did they decide to choose Mr Duden's book on grammar and dictionary as reference. That's some ten years before the same standard German became a standard in Germany.
-
in the 1890ies it was NOT Swiss German which was standardized but "Schrift-Deutsch" (written German). This is a a difference

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss love their dialects. Not only does it identify them as Swiss, but where exactly they are from. Some of my colleagues can discuss forever in which part of the country what term is used... someone even programmed an software tool to "analyze your dialect": You choose the expression you use for a list of words and the computer tells you where you're from... (http://dialects.from.ch/)
Sure. I mean if somebody asks me "Heit Iär ...." I know he is Bernese. If somebody with supreme intelligence observes "äs luftet" you know that he is from somewhere between Schaffhausen and "St. Galler Rheintal", and if somebody tells "und dänn hani chönne mitriite" you do not know that he is a good rider but that he is Bernese and had a chance to be given a lift. And so on.

Quote:
View Post
1. There is no need to "standardize Swiss German" - that is exactly what standard German is for.
-
No, quite to the contrary, Standard German allows the dialects to stay different, but everybody, at least more or less using the same language for writing

Quote:
View Post
2. As the local dialect is important for Mr Schweizer would he rather cut his tongue off than to accept Züri German as a standard for the entire country. Most non-Zürich Swiss are not too fond of the city at all. I have seen t-shirts in Graubünden saying in their local dialect "Nid vo Züri" - "Not from Zurich"...
Ever asked people if anyone outside the two Basel and parts of Aargau and Solothurn would accept Baasel-Tiitsch as the "standard" for the entire country ?
Ever asked people if anyone outside the two Basel is too fond really of that city ?
Ever heard what in Zürich is regarded as the best thing about Basel ? Answer : the direct train back to Zürich

And to Graubünden. Ever realized that a high percentage of the Bündners live in the Canton of Zürich ? Ever realized how much of business in Graubünden is Zürich-owned ? Ever heard some Zürcher up in Graubünden talking as if they were right always ? I in military service up in GR even supported Bündner colleagues who boycotted one ZHer of that sort, when they had explained the matter to me.
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post: