View Single Post
Old 20.05.2011, 12:11
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,205 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Portuguese restaurants in Kanton Zürich

Integration is a very important thing and it includes enjoying the culinary specialities of Switzerland. It also includes lying through your teeth and agree with your work colleagues “yes, cheese fondue is awesome”, which might be kinda tough to deal with as a lactose intolerant…

But apart from the fact that there is nothing better than mommy’s food, I like to recommend my home country food and until now every single person I shipped to Portugal came back agreeing “Portuguese food is really good”. They might be lying like I do with the fondue, but one has to keep positive thinking

Do you know a good Portuguese Restaurant? Then share it with me! I’d love to try it!

I leave here two recommendations:

Restaurant “Os Alves” in Wald ZH

Ambient is… well… different from your regular dinner in a Swiss restaurant. It is usually full with Portuguese men that just came from the working site and like to discuss football out loud, with a great cold Portuguese beer/ wine. The owner, though, is very nice and the little daily menu food is extremely good and very affordable. It has a very “tasca” feeling, including the Porto beloved Francesinha. I loved the roasted beef I had last time.

Restaurant “La Fuente” in Rapperswil
http://www.restaurante-lafuente.ch/

At first one might think this is the wrong place to look for Portuguese food, because yah, we only lost our independence to Spain for a couple of hundred years. But the “Caldo Verde” on the menu and the very nice Portuguese waiter beg to differ. It’s a great place next to the castle, has very nice Spanish and Portuguese specialities, great fish and very nice wines. Pricey, but I find it worth every rappen.

I'd like to add some more to the list!

Chaves d'Ouro

From Squeeeez
Portuguese Restaurant in Frauenfeld

Quote:
There's a hidden portuguese restaurant in Frauenfeld, 30s from the train station, called Chaves d'Ouro.
Grabenstrasse 21

There's pizza, mediterranean food, portuguese food -- especially the fish is delicious! Also the home-made desserts!
And the portions are... huge! For very reasonable prices... cheaper than most places! :-)
Closed on mondays, and on new year's eve it was full, but else there's hardly anybody there, except for the very friendly (and cute) staff :-)

A Marisqueira in Altstetten

From Superfast
http://www.marisqueira.ch/1501.html

Will try this one soon!

It's on the number 31 bus, right next to the Herdernstrasse stop.

Iberica

From amogles

Quote:
View Post
Another one worth checking is the "Iberica", a combined Spanish & Portugese restaurant on Milchbuckstrasse, next door to the Coop.
Still on the list to try ^^

A Esquina in ZH

From Pacino

Quote:
View Post
There is a good portugese restaurant in Kreis 4, between HB and Langstrasse, it's called Esquina: http://www.esquina.ch/ I've been there once and it was very good, but it's already been a while so no guarantee that it's still going strong.

P.S.: No, I don't own any of these restaurants, but I've been asked a couple of times by other Portuguese that live here where to eat, and thought about sharing it also with all the others

Last edited by Helm; 03.11.2011 at 15:58. Reason: Chaves d'Ouro restaurat added; A Marisqueira added; A Esquina
This user would like to thank Helm for this useful post: