View Single Post
Old 25.10.2007, 21:13

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
eejit has made some interesting contributions
Re: Halloween in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
My question is, what does Zurich do on Halloween?
I don't think there's anything traditional here on the 31st. The local kids have picked up on the trick-or-treat possibilities in the last few years although they're not very innovative with the tricks. Shaving foam in the letter box is their limit.

Last Halloween my youngest daughter and her friends got dressed up as witches and I chaperoned them at a discreet distance while they did their treating. All the folks who answered the door seemed to understand what was going on and were friendly and generous enough, given that it's something alien to them.

The pre-teens don't make much effort and for them it's just another way to goof off. They are just about old enough to have taken part in the annual Zürich "Schulsilvester" (trans: school New Year's Eve) when it was traditional to run riot, let off fireworks, shaving foam, etcetera, in the early hours of the last school day of the year.

Disclaimer: I'm an English native and my knowledge of real Halloween extends to Wikipedia reference-linkBobbing_for_apples and Jamie Lee Curtis