View Single Post
Old 13.06.2011, 19:14
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,983 Times in 642 Posts
Vlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving personal effects to Switzerland

I did almost the same thing 2 years ago... except I travelled to Switzerland by van with my personal effects.

I didn't have to register as a resident of Switzerland beforehand, we just turned up at the border, found customs and went in, showed the paperwork and said that I was moving to Switzerland and wanted customs clearance. So that answers your question about if you need to register.

However, I don't know how the fact that you will not be with your possessions affects this process. How will customs know that your friends are 'legitimate'?

If I were you, I'd contact the border control your friends are planning on going through to discuss this.

Incidentally, it is recommended that you go for a 'major' border control when doing this, or, if this is not possible, to contact the border control ahead of time to ensure they are prepared for you.