View Single Post
Old 17.06.2011, 18:22
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
jd710 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Wish I brought it/wish I had left it at home

Quote:
View Post
Depends on how long you are thinking you will be staying for and the chance you will move back to Ohio, or else where USA? If it's less then 2 years, I have 1 word for you...Ikea. You can buy what you need here and pawn it off for half the price, or less, and never have to mind the costs of containers, insurance, VAT, or some drunk at the port not securing your container correctly only to watch it float on the Atlantic.

What kind of gas grill is it? I think the tanks a pretty international. Don't bring alot of junk you aren't sure of. You pay in your taxes for the garbage man to come and pick up trash, but at the local grocery store (Coop, Migros, Denner, etc) you pay for the garbage bag they have to pick up more.

Leave all glass at home, it will break.

If you love beer, remember this, your beer brewed there even if it has the same label, is not the same beer licensed to some brewer here. Although, apparently, there is a few good beverages here to be had, but, if you don't have it already, chest hair will be required to be grown in the process.

Who does the baking/cooking? Bring all measuring spoons, Pyrex measuring cups, and baking soda, and the like. Forget about cheesecake pans as they have them here already. CRISCO...bring it by the ton, and brown sugar if you ever want the taste of a true cookie ever again. Bring us some Crisco too, I have Francs for you....

Plochmans or French's mustard if you like Mustard. The mustard here will burn your nose hairs out, and the American Style mustard is killer on Bretzels here.

Try to embrace the European experience, especially if you are here just for a short while. It's far cheaper and you can sell it before you go to another expat fresh off the boat.

Thanks for the information. We are signing up for a 3yr stint so a decent amount of time to acclimate and enjoy the adventure. We'll probably move back to the states after but we'll see how things go and what opportunities arise. We're selling the house so I've also been trying to use this as an opportunity to clear out some of the 15+ yrs of stuff we've been accumulating. I'd be more than happy to barter a few tubs of crisco for an introductory tour or a line on a good babysitter
This user would like to thank jd710 for this useful post: