View Single Post
Old 17.06.2011, 20:54
Forum Legend

Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wish I brought it/wish I had left it at home

Quote:
View Post
Load as much as you allowed. Even electrical things. Do not forget that there are adapters/transformers for lots of things. In case of the gas grill the question is how much it did cost originally. To replace the kids battery powered car might be rather expensive here, so load it ! A crate with your favourite non-perishable food may be an idea. Do not forget that your company pays for the container and not for the weight, so that the weight does not matter. So, first load the most important things, but when you have the important stuff in the container, fill the empty space with things like beloved chairs, and in case of doubt even furniture. FILL IT UP
Wollis I would Groan at you if this was a little bit more serious. Load it up? What happens if he decides to move back on his own expense and has either to pay to dump all his items at the, well, dump, or pay to move it all back? Also electronics? It's soooo not worth the hassle to keep a bunch of adpators and cords in order. Or be late to work, have to iron some clothes, but instead your are looking for a cord adaptor under a chest on the floor. I have been there bringing electronics from France over, and have already blown up a CD player, Coffee Machine, electric razor, and Kitchen Aid Mixer, and those items were attended to by a Swiss electrician who even had the nerve to send me a bill for the items he in correctly changed the cords on, and he knew he made my electronics into rubbish. Keyboard for comp with US settings is hugely a must if you must. Trying to re adapt your fingers to a new system is terribly time consuming.

I would like to add to bring your bikes. But don't get to clingy to them. As a shock of entry to the CH, please go into a bike store, any one, you choose, and check out the prices. You can find bikes for as high as 20,000 CHF, and most are atleast 800 to 1000. If your bike was made however some where like the following...China, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, or Taiwan, once it breaks a piece, even the seat, either junk it or have it fixed in France, as they don't fix them here. Well that's an exaggeration, but some parts they don't. Or will cost more then you paid for the bike in the first place.

As far as clothes, it is possible to find quality clothes here, or on a day trip to France. But remember before you load up on all your status label clothes in the US, they might not be status here. If you want to save on clothes on the exchange, buy quality over brand names.

Also, bit tip....load up on Fruit of the Loom socks or under wear. Cheaper, better quality, and you'll thank me for it later.
Also Abreva, Bengay, Tylenol or Excedrin, Motrin for the ladies. They don't have these brands, it will be cheaper for you by far, and you know in what quantity works best for you.
Also, if you are into Levis or Wranglers, it's true, a pair at Manor can cost as much as 200+CHF...no joke.
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post: