View Single Post
Old 17.06.2011, 21:58
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
jd710 has no particular reputation at present
Re: bring it with? sell it? buy it in CH? buy before you leave?

Quote:
View Post
Ditto to much of what has been said!

I wish I had brought more of the children's toys. My boy has wanted to go back to the U.S. all year because we left behind most of his: big lego sets, rokenbok, enormous battery operated ride on tractor, several RCs, etc. This stuff to a 7 (now 8) year old kid means much more to him than I had thought, and I thought I knew! It's like these are his status symbols, his comfort, his sense of self. Not how I raised him, but this is his reality, like it or not.

Same to some extent for my littlest one (age 4). But with her she seems to have forgotten these things more easily.

I saved some money on shipping by not bringing all that. But I wound up buying a new wooden kitchen for the littlest one, as a child that age seems to require a wooden kitchen in our family.

Thank heavens for Christmas. By then we seemed to have accumulated enough lovely toys that now they are everywhere just like in our house in the U.S. So feels like home!

As for clothes, everyone dresses differently here. My 11 year old found she needed an entirely different wardrobe to fit in. Again, not exactly my values, but I don't miss the tie dye, anyway!

We brought 8 bikes and use them all all the time. Skis too of course.

I think if you are just adults, stuff doesn't matter much. I went from a huge house to a 130m2 apartment, and it's fine. But if you are thinking about children, then they need the things they hold dear, no matter how cumbersome.
Thanks for the info, your boy sounds a lot like ours... our house is littered with lego. I'm not to worried about the 2yr old but the 7yr old is a lot more resistant to change. I'm sure he'll adapt quickly enough but the first 6 months or so I'm guessing will be kind of rough